Need help? Check out our Support site, then

2014 Theme Customizations - Grid & General White Space changes

1. Hello all! Need help with a few (seemingly simple) customizations on the 2014 theme.

1. On the homepage, I would like to remove some of that white space from where the grey grid box ends and the "Why HBM Law Offices" is listed. Too much space. I can see the code through Chrome developer tools but am unable to make any changes that stick (every time I refresh the changes disappear so I figured let's try through CSS Customization).

2. In the grid, can I change JUST the font size for the "Teammates. Your Partners." section to be a little larger than it currently is?

3. Also within that grid, how would I change the fonts for the descriptive section from all CAPSLOCK to where it is a normal sentence case?

Thank you!

The blog I need help with is hbmlawllc.com.

2. .content-area, .content-sidebar {
        padding-top: 20px;
    }

.featured-content .cat-links {
        font-size: 15px; // or the size you like
    }

.entry-title {
        text-transform: none;
    }

You may only need to adjust the width of the grid (in case some text does not show up after you make these changes).

3. Thank you so much!!! This is perfect/great. I had a couple of other questions, but let me mess around with this first. I guess CSS works better than trying to mess around with the Dev Tools in Chrome.

4. More on 2014 layout and space: theme has primary and secondary (left and right) sidebars which by default duplicate all widgets. It is possible to remove the right hand sidebar (the usual wordpress default) by choosing full page width template BUT - is it possible to remove this from POSTS?
    Alternatively is it possible to remove the left sidebar from posts (unless they are each used for something different they seem to be an uneccesary duplication and waste of screen space). The left sidebar seems to disappear or re-locate to page bottom for tablets and mobiles - would deleting either sidebar upset tablet/mobile views (the two are currently duplicated at bottom of scroll).
    If both sidebars are retained for posts (how) can they be used for different content?

5. It is possible to remove the right hand sidebar (the usual wordpress default) by choosing full page width template BUT - is it possible to remove this from POSTS?

First, it helps to have an example to review. I found this post on the demo site:
    http://twentyfourteendemo.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/featured-images-really-shine/

You could remove the right sidebar from posts like that with custom CSS like this:

.single #content-sidebar {
    	display: none;
    }

.single #content {
    	margin-right: 0;
    }

Note: this is a starter example. It doesn't change the width of the content but rather centers it. You can make additional adjustments with more CSS though. Could you start a new help request for that if you need additional help? Also, note that the ".single" part of the selectors in the example above work to limit the CSS so it only applies to single posts.

If both sidebars are retained for posts (how) can they be used for different content?

You should be able to adjust which widgets appear in the various sidebars from the Appearance > Widgets area in your blog dashboard. See http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/ to learn more about widgets.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic