Need help? Check out our Support site, then

3 page views: 33 Comments in spam

1. Hi, I'm new to blogging so still trying to figure some things out.

In the last two days my site stats says I've had 3 page views but I have 33 spam comments waiting for me to review. Each comment links to one of my past posts but neither one of them actually mentions anything from the post directly. Is it possible, these are all "splogs" (still trying to learn what "splogs" are). If the commentors aren't registering page views, how are they generating comments on my posts?

Another thing I've noticed is that I keep getting comment threads that are for someone else's post. They all register for "Italian Meat Loaves", but obviously are not for my post. How can I stop this from happening?

Thank you, I hope you can help me.

The blog I need help with is thissweetwife.wordpress.com.

2. I have 33 spam comments waiting for me to review.

They're not necessarily "to review". You can ignore them if you wish and they get deleted automatically after 30 days.

If the commentors aren't registering page views, how are they generating comments on my posts?

Spammers are sneaky, what else can I say? They don't actually visit your blog; they have a machine do it for them and which does not use any of the technology required by WordPress.com to actually track a visit.

Another thing I've noticed is that I keep getting comment threads that are for someone else's post. They all register for "Italian Meat Loaves", but obviously are not for my post. How can I stop this from happening?

I think that's another form of spam that involves trackbacks. These should also be intercepted by the spam filter.

I think you should stop giving spam so much importance, otherwise you'll do exactly what spammers want you to do: to worry. Just let the spam filter do its job :-) (And it's usually doing an excellent job. From personal experience, it's rarely wrong.)

3. WordPress also tries to filter out bots, search engines and automated crud (at least they try) so your site really has a lot of traffic but it is by not real people. I used to have a .ORG install and I could look at the raw visitor logs and there was always strange stuff visiting my site.

Also all Stats are best estimates and no two Stats packages will agree with each other. Watch the trend not the absolute numbers.

4. @thissweetwife
    This may help you learn how to spot pingback and trackback spam.

5. Thank you for your quick reply.

6. I mentioned this last night and advised to keep on deleting but there is 100% more spam getting through the filters. I believe that something is wrong with the scanners and also messages I have blocked in my comments filter are getting through.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic