Need help? Check out our Support site, then

3 questions for CSS Edit in the Enterprise theme

1. Hi thanks in advance to anyone who helps with this post, I'm new to wordpress and CSS and I need some help editing the CSS code for my website. I help help doing 4 things:

1. The background for my website and the background for my header is the same color I did this to blend everything in together but as you can see the is a white border line that prevents the header from blending in with the background.

2. I would like to remove the top navigation bar, the one with home on it and for the bottom bar I would like to keep it but change the background color to match the background color of the site

3. I would like to remove the search bar.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me the CSS code to accomplish this. Thank you!

The blog I need help with is paulmensah.com.

2. Add to existing in your stylesheet, or if they do not exist in your stylesheet, add the following.

#header {
    border: none;
    -moz-border-radius: 0;
    }

#nav {
    display: none;
    }

#subnav {
    background: none repeat-x scroll 0 0 #505158;
    }

.header-right {
    display:none;
    }
  3. I copied and pasted the code all 3 codes to the CSS edit field and previewed it but nothing changed

4. I figured it out nvm. I need help with two more things if you don't mind.

1. Since I'm using CSS edit the custom header and background no longer work how to I change the background color of the blog in the CSS code?

2. The website header is also not working how do I change/include my custom header in the CSS code?

5. Sorry, I should have mentioned that the preview function has been flakey lately. After hitting the preview button, force refresh that page and the changes should show up.

6. Hi Mensah,

you can check this

1. for blog background color just add background-color: #505158; in the body section

body {
    -------
    background-color: #505158;
    --------
    }

2. for the custom header

#header {
    background: url("http://paulmensah.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/header2.png") no-repeat scroll 0 0 #555555;
    }

3. To remove Search bar try it add display:none; in .header-right

.header-right {
    display:none;
    }

4.To Remove the navigation bar with Home on it just add display:none; in #nav

#nav {
    ----

display: none;
    }

5. To remove the white border add border:none in #header

#header {
    ----
    border: none;
    ----
    }

It is my first Reply to any forum...Hope it will be helpful for you.

Thanks
    Om Prakash Chowdhury

7. Thank you so much for the help so far I have one last thing I want to change, for the sub menu (where it says "business" & "finance") how do I move the text inside the navigation bar to the left? I want to move the text all the way to the left so that way the first letter of "business" starts right at the edge of the navigation bar.

8. Oh and also how do I increase the height of the sub menu? (where it says "business" & "finance") I want to move it slightly up closer to the header kinda centered between the header and the website content.

Note: I have removed the main menu (where it says "Home") in my CSS edit.

9. For the text in the sub menu add the following and play with the negative left value. I think if you push it too far left it will look funny and might look like a mistake.

.subnav ul li {
    position: relative;
    left: -10px;
    }

To move the nav up nearer the header, you need to play with the bottom margin value set in #header (the 20px value).

#header {
    margin: 0 auto 20px;
    }
  10. It worked perfectly! wow you guys are geniuses! I'm purchasing CSS Edit tomorrow after it goes live I'll have a few more questions please check back tomorrow if you can. Again thank you so much for the help!

11. You're welcome.

12. I just publish the CSS Edit changes I've made so far to my site. I have a couple more questions if you guys don't mind.

1. I was wondering is there a way to move down the sites content down a little bit? I feel like the body of the website is too close to the top so basically I want to move it down a bit so there is more space between the header and the actually content on my site

2. I also wanted to know how to add a mouse hover indicator to my menu bar so when someone hovers their mouse over the "business" & "non-business" menu there's like an indicator to let them know it is a clickable link

3. Finally, how do I go about adding a "click here to read more" to my posts? I don't want the whole entire content of the site to be on the front page so I want every post to have a preview then you click "read more" or whatever to read the rest of the post.

Thank you!

13. 1. Are you talking about moving the entire rounded white space down?

2. There was a background image declared for hover, but when you did the CSS, it broke that relative URL. I've made the link absolute below, so you might try just fixing it in your CSS and see if that is an OK solution. Otherwise, you could set a different color for the text, or set a text decoration such as an underline, or you could set a slightly different background color on hover, or even add your own background image. This will be where you will be working:

.subnav ul li a:hover, .subnav ul li a.selected {
        background: url("http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/pub/enterprise/images/subnavhov.png") repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
        color: #FFFFFF;
    }

3. In the post editor, add the read more tag at the spot where you want it. It is best to do it as if it were a separate paragraph between two paragraphs.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/splitting-content/more-tag/

14. 1. That's correct, the entire rounded space.

15. In #access, add a padding-bottom: declaration. It has to be over 50px to move it down.

16. I'm sorry, add a margin-bottom, not a padding bottom.

17. Hi Mensah

To move your content a little bit down from your post change the padding value according to your requirement.

.post-info {
    --- -----
    padding: 10px;
    --- -----

}

2. To add Read More there is a option called Insert More Tag in the Blog Post box (where you write your blog)

Thanks
    Om Prakash Chowdhury

18. Ummm, .post-info moves the content down away from the metadata. That is NOT what they wanted. They wanted to move the entire #wrap down.

And you know, I had provided the answers including the read more tag. Why clutter up a thread giving the same (except one wrong) answers?

19. Sorry, thesacredpath,

Actually when i was writing the answer I didn't notice your reply....

sorry for the inconvenience...

20. Hey thesacredpath everything worked out PERFECTLY! I can't thank you enough for your help, i'm looking everything over to see if I wan't to change anything I will reply if I do but again thank you!

21. I ended up switching to WP.org since WP.com is too limiting for me. I have successfully migrated the site over but I'm having one issue which I have posted on the WP.org forums on http://bit.ly/iky6dm. Please help if you can. Thank You!

22. Check that thread.

23. Oh, and about your changes here. With a self-hosted blog, the CSS works a little differently. Unless you did a complete copy/paste of the original CSS into the edit box here, you are going to have to save your changes to a text file and then go through it and the enterprise CSS a line at a time and make the changes to the CSS on the new site.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic