Need help? Check out our Support site, then

404-file not found

1. I AM TRYING TO PUT A .DOC FILE IN MY BLOG ANG THE MESSAGE AFTER UPLOADING AND CKIKING ON THE LINE TO DOWNLOAD IT IS "404-FILE NOT FOUND" HELP ME PLEASE

2. Can you show us where this is happening? It's easier to diagnose problems when we have a specific link. You should be able to upload .doc files. What's the name of the file? If it's got punctuation or unusual characters, that could be an issue as well. Paste the link to that post PLUS the name of the file in here so we can check things out for you.

3. you may need to delete it from the Manage->Uploads screen (assuming it's there - if not, it never made it, and you need to upload it again) and then upload it again with a different filename.

You MUST change the filename if you are uploading it a second time. WP seems to keep a cache of the deleted files, even though you can't see them in your upload manager, and if you use the same filename the old file conflicts with it (don't know/care why, it just does).

Good luck. Oh, and did you mean to yell (all capitals); i'm sure you didn't unless it was out of frustration? ;-)

4. Actually wp will (or should) change the filename for you if the file's name matches one already up on the site.

Agree on needing to see what is occuring. A link would be helpful. I noticed the *.pdf on your site which has a weird URL but yet it works. Not sure what's occuring with that but I've sent in a feedback to ask staff about the issue.

Oh, and shouting is not recommended around here.

5. Actually wp will (or should) change the filename for you if the file's name matches one already up on the site.

But if you manually delete a file through the uploads manager and then re-upload it with the same name, the old (deleted) file sometimes shows up.

I had this problem with images i use in my blogroll. When i tweaked the images and uploaded the new versions, sometimes the old ones would show up (even after cache-clearing, etc).

Just wanted to clarify :)

6. Not a problem. :)

It shouldn't be doing that. I would send in a feedback and point this out to staff. It may be an issue with the syncing between the datacenters.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic