Need help? Check out our Support site, then

'404 not found' on Preview following Static Page and Homepage link adjustment

1. sandraandsharon

Hi WP community!

I am new to the WP world and am attempting to set up a blog here: http://pepperberrycuisine.wordpress.com/.

My initial problem was that I wanted a static front page and only one link to it in my navigation bar.

I have gone through the FAQs and Forum to figure out how to make a static front page, which I have done (http://faq.wordpress.com/2007/02/20/having-a-static-page-at-the-front-of-the-blog/). I chose 'Home' to be my Front Page and 'Dips' to be my Posts Page.

I have also used advice from the FAQs about how to not have two home page links in my navigation bar(http://faq.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/i-have-2-home-page-links/). I made 'Dips' the parent child of the 'Home', which fixed this issue.

Now I have a new issue! My 'Dips' page won't show up at all- not in the preview, not when I view the site, not even when I log out and go to the page as a non-administrator.

Does anyone have any idea about why thismight be happening, and what I can do to fix it?

I appreciate all your help!

Thanks,

:-) Sandra

2. sandraandsharon

It's ok!

I just figured it out :-)

After trying everything I could think of for the past hour, I posted this question.

Two seconds later, of course, I figured it out.

It's all fixed!

Thanks,

Sandra

3. I see the Dips page just fine, but it's not actually a blog. It's a static page. Home does not appear to be a static page; it appears to be the blog itself. Not sure that's what you wanted.

4. sandraandsharon

Hmm...

Would you mind having a look it at it now that I *think* I've resolved it and seeing if that's still the case?

Thanks!

5. Still not seeing a Posts page anywhere. Does Greenery have the possibility to add the Pages Widget? If so, maybe add it temporarily to your sidebar and let's see if the Posts page shows up there.

By the way, I don't know if it matters to you or not, but Greenery is not one of the better behaved themes for the static page setup http://myjustatest.wordpress.com/posts/

6. sandraandsharon

Hi Jennifer!

I've added the widget- it looks messy :-( I'm sure this is nowhere near as accessibility friendly as I would like it to be!

I'm more than happy to change the theme, so thank you for that link. I'll look into it and figure out which one suits my needs best. I've purchased the CSS upgrade, which means I can edit any theme- is that right?

Thanks again!

7. sandraandsharon

Ooops- by the way, I am not wanting to have any posts- just pages. Does that still work?

8. Depends what you mean by "work." What you'll have then is a static website, not a blog, and you will not get much love from search engines for that. But yes, you can have a site that way if you want it.

You can edit your theme with the CSS upgrade, if you know how to use CSS. There's very, very little help for it in the forums and it's recommended you read the recommended references in the FAQ on CSS.

9. If all you want is to change from one standard theme to another, that's free. You don't need the CSS upgrade for that.

10. sandraandsharon

Hi Raincoster,

Thanks for that! I do know how to use CSS, which is how I edited the Greenery page. I just wanted to confirm that my CSS Upgrade was valid across any themes I chose to apply to my page, which I'm taking it is yes.

Thanks heaps,

Sandra

11. The one thing to keep in mind is that the CSS is theme specific, so if you make modifications for one theme, and then switch themes you will have to delete the changes you had made for the previous theme and then make any modifications you wish to the CSS for the new theme.

12. The "Dips" page shows up in the Navbar just fine for me, it did before too. No 404 error. Remove the Pages widget in the sidebar and you're good to go.

If your intention is to not have a Posts page at all, then excuse the pun, you'll be missing the "bread and butter" of wordpress.com websites and as raincoaster said, it is not only what generates your RSS updates feed but also your site's "Google Juice". Maybe consider having an "Updates" Posts page or somesuch to announce site changes, new recipes, etc.

13. sandraandsharon

Hi thesacredpath!

I know :-) I wish I'd known about Jennifer's link before I chose the theme, though!

I've only edited minor parts on Greenery, though, so I'd rather change themes now and have the navigation bar/static pages work and be accessibility-friendly, even if it means a it of extra coding.

Thanks,

Sandra

14. sandraandsharon

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your help, suggestions, ideas and time.

I'm going to list this as resolved now, as my questions have been answered.

:-)Sandra

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.