I believe that happiness is a choice we make between our ears, and despite our circumstances we can make the choice to be happy. I don't think happiness amounts to the the few moments of passing pleasure or joy we receive from external events. I believe that true happiness comes from deep within and is more akin to contentment and being able to celebrate being alive and loved in the now moment. I have made brief lists of the don'ts and do's that result in happiness for me.
(1) Don’t seek other people’s approval to determine your own self worth.
(2) Don’t feel responsible for the happiness or unhappiness of others.
(3) Don't explain or justify your thoughts and actions to yourself or others.
(4) Don't think you can change what happened yesterday by reliving it today.
(5) Don't get caught up in projecting future scenarios and miss what's in the now moment.
Your thoughts create your feelings – Your feelings trigger your emotions – Your emotions activate your behavior. And, your behavior produces the results you have in your life. Take personal responsibility to change your thoughts where applicable and set yourself free to become the best you that you can be.
(1) Do free your heart from hatred and your mind from worries.
(3) Do live simply and communicate honestly.
(4) Do expect less, give more, and express gratitude for what you do have and what you receive.
(5) Do live consciously in the present moment – the now moment.