Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Cannot upload themes in my laptop WordPress 3.0.1, Lucid Lynx Desktop

1. Hi all,

I am a very new user of Worpress so go easy with me please however by saying that I am fairly savy when it comes to Operating systems.
    My aim is to build my first Website in my laptop and then host it somewhere else. I have decided to use WordPress to do that.
    I am using Lucid Lynx Desktop and had installed latest LAMP server.
    Installed and configured WordPress 3.0.1 and can see my blog under //Localhost/Wordpress in my Laptop.
    I am now trying to change the theme hence downloaded some themes from the net. I am now logged in and under Admin Menu I am using Appearance tab to upload a new theme. But when I try to do that this is the error message I am getting:

The uploaded file could not be moved to /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/

I tried various ways to solve this problem and even CHMOD to give everyone Read, Write and Execute access to this directory but I am still getting this error.
    Can someone please help me?

Kind regards

2. You did not specify a blog address or reason for posting when you created this topic.

This support forum is for blogs hosted at WordPress.com. If your question is about a self-hosted WordPress blog then you'll find help at the WordPress.org forums.

If you don't understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, you may find this information helpful.

If you forgot to include a link to your blog, you can reply and include it below. It'll help people to answer your question.

This is an automated message.

3. You really need to be asking over at http://wordpress.org/support
    That said I cannot see why there would be a problem dragging the folder from one file pane to the other.
    Not sure what you mean by upload. You would typically download a theme, unzip then drag to the required place.

4. Thanks for the advice. Yes I understood my mistake. I now have registered myself to http://wordpress.org/support and asked my question over there. Dragging does not work in this case as this is a Linux environment.

Many thanks again.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic