Around a year ago, I paid for WordPress to register a domain name for me. Recently, I got what I thought was a renewal notice for this website from Domain Registry of America, and I paid for the renewal. Now, I keep getting emails from DRA saying I need to approve the "transfer" of my domain name. What alarms me is that 1) I didn't realize I was "transferring" anything; 2) the bill on my credit card includes a foreign transaction fee; and 3) When I called Wild West Domains, they said they couldn't help me, and I have to talk to WordPress.
Is this legit, or I have been duped into some sort of foreign scheme, and I need to cancel my credit card charges? Does anyone know how WordPress domain renewals typically work?
Thanks for your help.
Here is the email I keep getting:
The transfer and renewal of your domain name, wanderinghebrew.com is not yet complete at this time.
1) The Domain name is currently in a "REGISTRAR-LOCK" status with your current registrar WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
2) We require that you provide us with an EPP Key/Authorization Code from your current registrar
In order to complete the transfer and renewal, the "REGISTRAR-LOCK" status needs to be removed and an EPP Key/Authorization code needs to be obtained. Please see below for instructions on achieving this.
- Log into your account with your current registrar, and change the status of your domain, wanderinghebrew.com, from "locked" to "active".
- Then look for the EPP Key or Authorization Code.
- Call your current registrar, WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC. (see phone number below) and ask them to remove the lock status of your domain name, give you your EPP Key, and allow the transfer to Domain Registry of America.
Domain Registry of America
Toll free 1-866-434-0212 or for International Callers, dial +1(905)479-2533
The blog I need help with is wanderinghebrew.com.