Cheng & Tsui, a Boston-based educational publisher of Asian language textbooks and multimedia materials is seeking an Acquisitions Editor. Join a dynamic team dedicated to “Bringing Asia to the World.” Acquire, develop, and sponsor new projects and series, in both print and electronic format. The Acquisitions Editor will play a key role in contributing to the company’s growth and fulfilling strategic objectives.
• Acquire and commission new projects and series, both print and electronic. Screen and review incoming proposals as well as actively solicit outside manuscripts. Assess audience and competition. Create projected P&L budgets. Negotiate contracts.
• Develop editorial plan and overall schedule. Obtain and analyze peer reviews. Guide authors in terms of structure and organization of manuscript. Ensure author delivery schedules and acceptability of final submission. Work closely with development editor(s) when further development of project is required.
• Identify potential titles to acquire for distribution. Oversee the acquisition, review, and selection process.
• Pursue strategic partnerships with key players in the fields of language and culture teaching, with an emphasis on the development of multimedia initiatives and new markets.
• Expand, develop and maintain a pool of potential authors, scholars, peer reviewers, and editors.
• Attend major conferences and academic events related to the teaching and learning of Asian languages. Maintain an awareness of trends in language and culture education, of educational markets, and of competing titles and products.
• Plan the acquisitions budget, strategy, and direction. Coordinate with authors, editors, and marketing to ensure the successful presentation of projects to the marketplace.
• Identify opportunities to repurpose print material in electronic and other formats.
• Make reprint and revision recommendations.
• Recruit, train, instruct, and manage project editors as necessary.
• Minimum five years’ experience in educational publishing or a related field.
• Must be a highly organized team player with excellent communication, problem solving, planning, and negotiating skills.
• Must be a technically savvy, creative and innovative leader.
• Must be able to develop and manage projects simultaneously, on schedule, within budget, and with moderate supervision.
• Previous acquisitions or editorial experience with proven success in signing and publishing.
• Experience in teaching, language learning, multimedia platforms, and online technology highly desirable.
• Knowledge of an Asian language strongly preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. 401K plan, health, dental, life and disability.
Send resume with cover letter to [email redacted].