Need help? Check out our Support site, then


Export is not exporting everything

  1. Hello,

    I am attempting to move my wordpress.com hosted blog to my own domain (finally!). Unfortunately, I've run into a little bit of a brick wall. First, I exported the entire blog in one WXR .xml file, but when I attempt to import it into my new WordPress installation, it only allows a max file size of 8MB...and my WXR .xml file is 12.4 MB. I've edited my php.ini file to allow for a larger file size, but this has not helped--I still run into the same issue.

    So then I decided to split the export process into different segments of the blog. Now, the Pages have exported correctly to a WXR .xml file, and imported successfully too. But the Posts are not exporting correctly. I'm attempting to export Posts from a range of March 2012 to January 2010, and the export file that results is 4 KB--there's stuff in there, but they're not the posts, and when I import that file into my new blog, it does so successfully, but no posts are present anywhere in that new blog--there's not even an archive structure, categories, nothing. When I export Posts without restricting by dates, it exports fine--but again, the file size is too large, around 9.5 MB.

    I'd like to know why restricting Post Exports by date is not proving to be successful. What else can I do to export this blog to the new host?

    Thanks much for your advice.

    The blog I need help with is faatimah1397.wordpress.com.

  2. I'm sorry but we Volunteers cannot help with export issues like this one. You need to contact Staff directly with all your details http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/

  3. Thank you so much for responding.

    I've contacted Support at your suggestion. Hopefully there's a painless fix!

    Thanks again!

  4. Best wishes for a happy ending. Just another little note though. Please be patient, as when we create a support ticket by contacting Staff it’s important to understand they have a backlog. They provide support for 31 million and they deal with the support tickets with the earliest dates first. So if we contact them more than once of the same issue the date moves forward and it takes longer to get help.

  5. I just tried reversing the dates for Export, putting the older date as the Starting Date and the newer date as the End Date. This has been successful! I'm so happy.

    And I've done an Import of one of the WXR Post files and it's been successful too! So very happy!

    You can mark this as resolved, please :)

  6. Thanks for posting back with the resolution!!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic