After some experimenting with the CSS preview function (thanks to a few helpful tips here) I saw that I could change the width of the columns in the Fjords04 theme, and so I purchased the CSS upgrade. (I've been putting my blog in order since then.)
I have a few questions -- if people here have some other tips, I'd be grateful to hear them.
My blog is at: http://www.musicuratum.com (I registered the domain as well), and the browser I'm using for WP is Google Chrome.
1. Posts at their own addresses (permalinked) do not display in the format I've defined for posts in general, and nor do pages. Is there some command (either a "#" or a ".") that relates solely to these items?
2. Generally I have the comment function turned off on my blog, and so the text (with its symbol) "comments off" underneath each post is something I'd like to remove. How might I use the "display:none" command to accomplish that globally, in all the cases where I've turned it off (or is there some other way)?
3. Customizing the category and tag clouds -- using the "#tag_cloud" I thought I could do so, and it did work -- for the category cloud! When I attempted the inverse and used a "#category_cloud," there was no change. What is the simplest way to deal with these two widgets?
4. Text in the sidebars, both in text widgets and in special menus I've created and then placed there with the custom menu widget: how does one change the font, color, etc.?
5. Concerning the site title and the tagline (located top left in the site's header), I thought "#site-title" and "#site-description" were the commands to use, but they don't work. How do I customize these items?
6. How does one customize the entry boxes for the search function, e-mail address entry for subscriptions, and the like, and their related buttons?
Well, this is enough for the moment.
The blog I need help with is musicuratum.com.