Need help? Check out our Support site, then


German umlaute not displayed on front page of "Suburbia" theme

  1. Could anybody help me with this problem? Posts were imported from Posterous and all did not display properly. Later I changed every single umlaut by hand. Within the posts they no display correctly, but not on the front page...

    The blog I need help with is ainanani.wordpress.com.

  2. This thread will be moved to the Translations Forum where Staff will deal with your report.

  3. Hi there, there was an issue with the Posterous export tool which was fixed after you posted here. Please request a new Posterous backup file and re-import it into your WordPress.com blog. Before you do the import, it's a good idea to empty out the site of the previously imported content, you can find instructions for doing it here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/empty-site/

    Let me know if you need further assistance with your Posterous import, and I'll be glad to help.

  4. Thanks for trying to help. But the posterous export does not seem to be the origin of this problem, which has also been encountered by another user.

    I had corrected the corrupt umlaute by hand after importing from posterous. They show correctly within the texts but not on the front page!!! And the same problem also exists in new posts that I produced within the wordpress system.

    Would be more thank grateful, if you guys find a solution...

  5. Hi there, each of your posts contains two parts, the main post body and an excerpt.

    For example, let's take this post: http://ainanani.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/das-andere-ende-des-dubai-creek/

    You can see in screenshot that the characters are correct in the post itself, but broken in the excerpt: http://cl.ly/image/3C0S0E391o2n

    So if a theme is displaying excerpts on the homepage (like Suburbia or Imbalance 2 does), and the excerpt has broken characters in it, then broken characters would be displayed on the homepage. If a theme is using full post texts or there are no excerpts set, then the characters will display correctly.

    And the same problem also exists in new posts that I produced within the wordpress system.

    I checked the four most recent posts you created on http://ainanani.wordpress.com/ since migrating here and did not find broken characters. Could you please point me to them?

    I had corrected the corrupt umlaute by hand after importing from posterous.

    Since you originally imported from Posterous, we communicated the broken characters issue to them and they fixed it on their end (the Posterous backup files already contained broken characters). At this point, it is probably easiest not to re-import, but rather go through your posts one-by-one and deleting the excerpts with broken characters in them. If you do that, themes like Suburbia would you your full posts to generate excerpts for the frontpage, and display correct German characters.

    Let me know if you need further assistance with this -- I'll be happy to go through and clean up the excerpts for you.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.