Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Getting Started with Sandbox 1.6.1

1. I'm experienced with CSS but just beginning on wordpress.com--and trying to figure out how to work with the Sandbox theme. I did pay for the Edit CSS upgrade. Much of the information I've found dates from 2007 and 2008 and does not seem to apply to the current version of Sandbox (1.6.1) as it appears on wordpress.com. For example, it isn't possible to select a "skin" on the Manage Themes page as many posters advise. Can anyone point me to updated instructions on modifying 1.6.1? I'd like to create a 3-column layout.

Many thanks!

The blog I need help with is janspiller.wordpress.com.

2. It depends on which order you want the main content and the two sidebars. You can target them with CSS using #container, #primary and #secondary respectively. You will want to change their positioning, margins or float properties to nudge them into the desired places.

3. Thank you for answering. That hint was enough to tell me that all I need to do is start playing with the styles. I don't have to worry about selecting a 3-column version, etc.

4. It is Sandbox 0.6.1 that has a few custom skins under theme options, take a look if you like. I personally think that Sandbox 1.6.1 gives you better options for customisation even if you do have to put a tiny bit more work in for the basic layout.

5. Thanks, timethief (great username). Devblog's blog is helpful to know about, but I think I'll stick with 1.6.1 for the reason you cite--even though I'm struggling with it at the moment!

6. @janspilleradmin
    I took this username years ago because I had twice stolen my life back from the grim reaper. I had no idea it would receive negative connotation later on and I'm not giving it up. :) Sorry the link wasn't helpful. It was a stab in dark, so to speak. Best wishes with your blog. :)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic