Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Help me get this 1980s Bill Murray movie released on DVD/Blu

1. lacklustervideo

A whimsical tribute to young love, young artists, and the films of the 1930s, Nothing Lasts Forever could best be described as a friendlier version of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil (1984). This fanciful film stars Zach Galligan (Gremlins) and features wonderful supporting turns by Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray as a villainous bus driver.

The movie was made in 1982, dumped unceremoniously in theaters in 1984 and has never, ever officially been released on VHS, DVD or any home video format. I wrote this blog post in the hopes of raising awareness about the movie so that one day Warner Archives will finally release it on DVD/Blu. Don't forget to Tweet them at @warnerarchive to let them know you want to see this movie.

It's bad that this movie is so overlooked, but it's a real crime that it's not even legally available for viewing.

http://lacklustervideo.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/movie-pick-of-the-moment-nothing-lasts-forever-1984/

The blog I need help with is lacklustervideo.wordpress.com.

2. I worked on a sound restoration of it (for Warners) back in the early 2000s, but they ceased the project at the time because they couldn't get legal clearance for all the clips from other sources which are in the film. If that's still unresolved, you won't be seeing it no matter how many people ask. Interesting, weird little movie.

3. lacklustervideo

@invisiblemikey: Thanks for the update. It's a shame they still can't get the legal clearance.

The IMDb entry for Nothing Lasts Forever only lists the following movies/shows as being used:

- Intolerance (1916)
    - Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    - Un Chien Andalou (1929)
    - Portrait of Jennie (1948)
    - "I Love Lucy"

But they must've used clips from a lot more movies. Do you know any of the other movies that were used?

4. There were also a number of stock footage clips from newsreels and educational films used in addition to ones from the features you've listed. I don't know who owns those rights, but someone does. It may all be held up simply because MGM or Warners aren't willing to pay enough. That often happens to song or soundtrack cues, which must then be replaced before re-release is possible. Schiller might have to do some re-editing or kick in $$$ himself. Here's the wiki link for the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Lasts_Forever_%28film%29

Their article lists a book of interviews about its production. You might find more info in that.

5. lacklustervideo

Yeah, I have a feeling Schiller may have to give this movie the "WKRP" DVD treatment if it's to receive a legitimate release.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic