When you begin blogging it's important to focus on creating high quality content. Increasing traffic is the natural consequence of relationship building. Visit other blog in the same niche, read posts & leave meaningful comments in order to build relationships with other bloggers.
IMHO there is no single best way to get traffic. Any specific advice I give is dependent upon what the blogger has already done. But it may be helpful to review the questions I ask:
(1) Is your blog structured and optimized in a reader and search engine friendly manner?
(2) In blogging content is king, hence, it's the draw to your site. Have you created pillar posts (flagship content) that has timeless value and brings back readers again and again?
(3) Do you write well and publish regularly. Keeping your blog updated with fresh and informative content will maintain reader interest.
(4) Do you deep link to your earlier posts in your recent posts and use correct anchor text to do so?
(5) In blogging, content is king and promotion is queen. Have you joined Twitter social networks and promoted your posts in them after publishing them?
(6) Do you encourage your blog readers to comment?
(7) Do you reply to every comment?
(8) Do you link to your reader's related blogs and keep your blogroll updated?
(9) Do you comment, comment, comment on other blog in the same niche?
(10) Do you subscribe to the feeds of related blogs?
(11) Do you backlink to posts published by faithful readers in your posts wherever possible?
If you wish you can read and act on the twenty five steps in the following post to increase organic blog traffic http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2009/01/15/twenty-five-steps-to-increase-blog-traffic/