Need help? Check out our Support site, then


How to get a different photo to show as the thumbnail image on Facebook

  1. I'm trying to place a link to my latest blog post on my blog's Facebook fan page (as well as on my personal Facebook page). This is the particular post:

    http://hbombkaraoke.com/2012/08/28/one-small-step-for-an-h-bomb-my-visit-to-a-space-shuttle/

    I want the "main" image (the one at the upper right of the post) to be the one showing up in the Facebook link; but it keeps only offering me 5 different images from my post - none of which is the one that I want. I've run the "linter" debugger over and over and this doesn't change anything. Is there some code I can enter into my blog post to get the correct image to show up as the thumbnail?

    The blog I need help with is hbombkaraoke.com.

  2. Never mind, I figured out a work-around. Is there a way for me to delete this topic?

  3. How did you do it? I had the same problem.

  4. We have no control over which images Facebook chooses to display and we have no control over how long it takes for the image caches at Facebook to be flushed.

    They make changes frequently and what follows may or may not be where they are at today:

    Only the first five images uploaded to a post (direct inclusion/gallery/slideshow) will be sent to Facebook. The images size has to be at least 200 x 200 pixels.
    To select which image will be used for things like Facebook Publicize, you can use a theme that supports featured images. If a featured image isn’t set or your theme doesn’t use featured images, http://en.support.wordpress.com/featured-images/ then the code tries to pick the first image in the post or page. If no image is found, then the blavatar is used.
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/avatars/blavatars/
    See also > http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/fb-link-has-no-thumbnails?replies=4#post-93686

  5. I actually went to the Gallery for my blog post that contained all the photos that had been uploaded to that post. One of the photos that kept coming up among my thumbnail choices was an old, superseded version of a photo that I had subsequently re-uploaded in edited form. So I deleted the old version of the photo (which may have been crowding out the pic that I'd WANTED to use for the thumbnail). Then (and I don't know whether this step made a difference or not), I deleted the photo that I actually wanted to use as the thumbnail, re-uploaded it, and re-dropped it into my blog post. THEN I ran the url for the blog post in the linter debugger site to refresh the photos. At that point, the thumbnail I wanted came up as one of my options for the link from Facebook. Victory!

  6. P.S. Try flushing your FB cache. Disconnect from FB first, then reconnect. http://umairj.com/146/how-to-clear-facebook-shares-cache/

  7. I also want to point out that the photo I'd wanted to use for the thumbnail WAS one of the first five images I'd uploaded for the post; in fact, I'm pretty sure it was the first. But I couldnt' get it it to come up among the thumbnail choices until I followed the steps described above.

  8. @hbombkaraoke
    Oops! sorry for the overlap in comments above. Thanks also for sharing what worked for you.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic