Image Resize

• Mulling all this stuff over the last few days (as I continue to develop new blogs in WP-hosted sites), my fears are that:

a) these problems will never hit critical mass in a way that will force WP to truly re-think them (maybe I’m not looking hard enough, but I can find little noise online about these issues outside of this very thread–no complaints voiced on Twitter, etc.);
    b) the alternatives currently in existence (i.e., some listed here: http://smallbiztrends.com/2014/01/wordpress-alternatives.html) still don’t measure up in a way that will put a serious dent in WP’s user base, so won’t, in the end, amount to a hill of beans (short term pain for some will not equal long term pain for all). Sure, a bunch of longtime disgruntled users may pick up and move elsewhere, but WP will still continue to amass new users, and the new users won’t know the previous options — so there’s no reason for them to be affected and/or annoyed by them.

• @rockcritics,
    I share your fears.
    I just love (not) the justification that it is progress and we will get used to the difference and be happy in the long run. It’s the way of computer software! Get over it.
    No, thank you.

• @rockcritics

Yes, me too – but there has been some grumbling on Twitter (and other things); I certainly did, and so have some others. More, perhaps, is needed…

I think they are either a) working on it (ho ho, but maybe my cynicism is misplaced) or b) hoping we’ll all give up, stop complaining, and that this thread will stop jumping to the top of the support forums if they wait long enough…

Progress, this isn’t. Dumbing down / downgrading, this is.

• It seems like the staff is no longer responding about the problems with photos, so that is a concern in itself not knowing if anything is being done about the problems. I don’t want to post a text only blog, but now have no recourse, since pages look so bad when they are published. Have been with WordPress for 5 years this month and was happy until this new update made posting more difficult.

• BAD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN I PLAY WITH HTML. That’s why I used and adored the advanced image editor! Please, please don’t tell me the only way to create borders from now on is to add the code myself.

This is all incredibly frustrating….

• Hi there!

I’ve been going through this thread again and again and I understand that one of biggest pain points for users in this thread with the new update is the removal of image resizing using percentages. I have reported this to our developers and they are looking into this!

I know that change can be difficult and it takes time to adapt to new features. We are always looking to make the experience at WordPress.com better and better for our users – we never want to be complacent. With that, some features will stay, some will go and new ones will be added. So thank you for being a part of this. It truly is amazing to see users so active within our community.

Once I get an update I will let you all know as soon as possible!

• Thank you for the update Gracejiyoung. :)

-John Jr

• sylviuspalmer · Member ·

Hi WindWhistle,

Methinks you overlooked the most important thing [she] said, “… but we all adapt and in the end, almost always forget how things were before.”

Amen, Bloggah! See now that’s what I’m talking about. The truth. Plain, simple, naked, unadorned truth such as this quote you offered. Jackie just says it like it is.

But you know what they say … when you find someone who says they have the truth …

RUN!

I do not enjoy admitting it, but it appears that Grace has been assimilated, too. She’s got with the program: it’s just a matter of time to forget how good it was. Then we’ll understand it never really mattered. It’s not nihilism. It’s the advantage of short memory. Twitterworld.

As for me and my mouse, among other things, I’m researching and experimenting with alternative web authoring editors that may be able to give me most of the code needed to just paste into the WordPress HTML text editing window. I’m not sold on the idea yet, or whether it’s practical, but it’s an education, and I have forgotten what that’s like, so I still believe in it.

Aside from such philosophical nattering, notice the layout of the image editor screen? A column with all that unused white space, to the right, but you have to scroll down to get to the last options? And instead of new windows or frames, things come up in div windows … the modern version of pop-up? And options are in blocks, boxes and tabs. Things good for fat fingers on pods.

Nobody on the side with all the marbles (which is not us) will answer this, as already shown when others brought it up, but you never know. Maybe you can be reassured you’ll forget the future of GUI mousing and clicking, too … when you buy a big StupidPhone and a tablet and a magnifying glass strapped to your face and toss that dinosaur PC. In a pod world, carefully designed layout doesn’t matter. It’s box by box, button by button, swipe by grope.

Magnifying glass? Yeah. Not every computer user is a Millennial. Boomers’ eyes are getting old, and many are not correctable to 20/20 with glasses or even surgery. But you’d better learn to work on something the size of a dinner plate, or be bloggah no mo’.

• I am still struggling to understand how WP staff can claim that this is an improvement. Improvement generally means increasing functionality not stripping it away. Using the text editor to achieve desired results is clumsy and prone to errors to do something that could previously be easily achieved with a click of the mouse.

Grace,

I know that change can be difficult and it takes time to adapt to new features. We are always looking to make the experience at WordPress.com better and better for our users – we never want to be complacent. With that, some features will stay, some will go and new ones will be added. So thank you for being a part of this. It truly is amazing to see users so active within our community.

Please upload dish soap. I feel buttered. You’ve gone over it again and again? Why do you not answer my simple questions about the content of your earlier post, where it appears that you offered incorrect information, but I needed a clarification to see whether it was your info or my misunderstanding?

Buttering me up is insulting when you neglect to answer simple technical questions that aren’t a matter of national security or industrial secrets or corporate policy. You might as well have said, “Substance is not my job.”

Go over it again and make a note of all the places where people asked a straightforward question. Then answer it, even if your answer is, “I don’t know,” or “I’ve reported it and I don’t have a status on it yet,” or “They’re working on it but I can’t promise you what will come of that,” or maybe just, “I understand your point.”

Instead, you give us a message that says, in essence, “Get over it.” I guess that’s your job.

This thread is more fun every day, because it becomes more like play, more unreal. I’m just here for the entertainment now, the greatest value on offer here.

Hey, apetcher,

I am still struggling to understand how WP staff can claim that this is an improvement.

Read more Orwell.

• I left blogger.com 5 years ago, because I was technically challenged by HTML and WordPress was so much easier to use. Now it has suddenly become difficult to insert photos and videos into the blog. I was going to write my blog today, but instead I am at the forums, while trying to figure out what is going on.

Hi Murray,

• Should release beta versions of major changes so there are no surprises on final release

This IS the beta release. It is a beta of v. 3.9, which has a “final” release date scheduled for mid-April. Scroll back to one of my earlier messages where I pointed to the official WP links about it.

This is not my opinion about what we have here. It is openly stated fact at WP that we are running on a trial version. Last I checked it was Beta 3. It was Beta 1 at the time that it was launched here with the Visual Editor Downgrade. The most recent stable release is 3.8.1. If you download WordPress for self-hosting, that’s what you get. We’re not on a stable release. It’s v. 3.9 Beta.

Be a good beta tester. Keep experimenting with functionality instead of content. Keep reporting your findings. Keep explaining how it impacts your blog. But don’t expect a report back.

In any case, as you also noted, even beta releases should not be DOWNGRADES.

Hi Rockcritics,

I can find little noise online about these issues outside of this very thread–no complaints voiced on Twitter, etc.

If it lasts much longer, that probably will change.

What would really drive that change would be for some key popular media outlets to report on it, and industry trade rags/sites.

Or, some enterprising soul here might write a crisp, clear summary of the features removed, bugs reported, impacts reported, and WP responses so far, post it in a PDF, and start spreading the link. But it’s early. I’d wait another week because this fiasco is not something WP can reverse or fix as quickly as we’d like. They really messed this up big time. But a week from now, we might need a site over at Blogger to coordinate a media blitz.

(I guess I’ll be fired as a beta tester now, huh? Darn darn darn. Whatever will become of me without this job?)

I think the latest reply from Grace has really turned the tide red for me. I don’t care any more. This is all a game now. So I’ll just play until they take away the marbles or get real.

Andrew,

I was going to write my blog today, but instead I am at the forums, while trying to figure out what is going on.

If it’s any consolation, you just picked up a follower.

Might as well go back to working on your research, which you do so well. You won’t find any real answers here except, “Use HTML.” Wait for the next WordPress News article about the “improvements” in version 3.9. They’re not going to talk about it here. This is my thread now. (LOL. Kidding!)

• balsamean – Yeah, good point. Maybe it will just take some time for feedback/anger to properly kick in.

Also, in regard to your previous point, “It is openly stated fact at WP that we are running on a trial version”…. This is why it makes zero sense to be told by support staff that they are “reporting the issues” to developers — implying that these changes might be both news, and of major concern, to the developers! (Unless of course the support staff mean they are reporting people’s disenchantment, in which case I hope their reports go higher up the chain than the developers.)

• I’ve been here for 8 years and I no longer sweat this stuff. Twice each year roughly about a month before the new versions of WordPress software become available to WordPress.ORG users this platform at WordPress.COM is the guinea pig platform. I choose to simply wait it out and when the dust settles I learn which new hoops we have to jump through to accomplish what we were able to do before. The reason I no longer post into threads like these and become a “contributor” by working through all the changes is simple – life is too short to spend it skipping rope in time with someone else calling the tune. More to the point is the fact their are millions of us and the hundreds complaining on the support forums about anything a rarely give rise to any meaningful changes. I’ve seen only two reversions so far and I don’t expect to see that number increasing any time soon.

• P.S. argghh! I am visually challenged and I hate my app some days:
    their are millions was meant to me there are millions

Three cheers for TimeThief. Said so well, so right, so true. That’s why this is all just a game now … because she nailed on the head how futile this nattering is.

• @balsamean
    I live on a small island off the west coast of Canada where the sun i shining and I haven’t published a post on my blog for 4 day now … meh … I’m pretty sure my followers aren’t going to abandon my blog while I bask in the sunshine on my deck drinking tea.

WordPress.com is still my hosting choice for these 7 reasons and yeah, I’ve self hosted and returned here so I no longer scream during the twice annual rollercoaster ride. And, I no longer go from one support thread to another sharing what the “contributors” uncover re: these changes. I just remain calm and carry on by clicking into the next thread where I can help someone.

Tea time is over. Best wishes to all. :)

• The topic ‘Image Resize’ is closed to new replies.