Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Infinite Scroll: Do we get an opt out and will this apply to other themes?

1. Thats great! the option to scroll infinitely or not ist installed!

But the Problem is, that there are for example 6 posts on my starting page, but i have set, that there should be only 3 posts?! can you help me?

2. Hooray x 1000! :)

I have the same problem. We want 4 5 posts on the homepage and seven are showing!

Almost fixed... Just need that functionality back.

3. I meant:

We have the same problem. We want 5 posts on the homepage and seven are showing!

Almost fixed... Just need that functionality back.

4. Yes, please restore the ability for us bloggers to choose the number of posts we wish to display on our front pages as we did previously here > Settings > Reading

5. @timethief - I just set my test blog to 2010 and the number of posts option is on the Settings - Reading page as it used to be.

By the way, thesacredpath made a good point here:

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/disable-infinite-scroll-with-custom-css?replies=12#post-817178

6. Otherwise, it's very good news - and a big thank you to WordPress.

7. @absurdoldbird
    Oh dear, that wasn't happening earlier and I didn't realize that setting is now working again. Hooray!

8. @TT - do check that it's working on your blog too - hopefully it's not just mine! :)

9. I went back into Setting ---- Reading

Re-entered the number of posts we wanted 5 , saved the changes... And site is still showing 7

Am I doing something wrong? :)

Thanks again WordPress.

10. re: Twenty Eleven
    Settings > Reading
    Blog pages show at most 6posts
    However, the blog is displaying 7 posts.

11. This is excellent, excellent, excellent. Thank you, WP.

Before we iron out the remaining bugs and move on, I think it important that we ALL draw some lessons from this experience.

Lesson 1: WP does listen to its members. There was a lot of running commentary in the past few days about how WP wouldn't go back on this issue. That has proved not to be the case.

Lesson 2: Comments can be emotional but should be courteous and focused on the problem.

Lesson 3: It is one thing to change the layout of our dashboards; it is another to change the public face of our blog themes without seeking our input beforehand. WP should not do it.

Lesson 4: The only exception to Lesson 3 above is when the change is made optional ... as is now the case with infinite scrolling.

Lesson 5: Communication is vital in a situation such as this. WP's response was not coordinated and took too long. Also, responding to the former main thread on this issue and then immediately closing the thread was not a good public relations move. If people feel that a meaningful dialogue has been opened, it will go a long way towards maintaining a calm atmosphere while the issue is hashed out.

Lesson 6: Mistakes happen. Usually, they can be fixed. Fixing a mistake is always a good thing.

There are undoubtedly more things to learn from this saga, but I will stop there. Thanks to everyone who rattled the cages to help get a response. Thanks to WP for making the right decision in this matter.

A final suggestion for WP: If you are able to determine how many blogs are using themes with the infinite scrolling option, can you easily see how many have turned the feature off? It would be interesting to know.

John Z.

12. Before you get all excited and think there is a major victory here, you need to read this post in this other thread:

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/disable-infinite-scroll-with-custom-css?replies=20#post-817178

All they did was fix the footer widget issue. That is all. When this rolls out to the other themes here that do not have footer widget areas, you will not have the choice to turn it off. That is only an option on themes that have footer widget areas with footer widgets installed.

13. Infinite Scroll is now an option when footer widgets are present.

Excuse me but this intended to be a site wide chnage that will affect all themes except those on which are not accomdating linke DePo Masthead. I do believe that all that's changed is that those who currently have Twenty Eleven and Twenty Ten themed blogs with footer widgets that were not displaying, now have them displaying again by disabling infinite scrolling. We don't know whether or not those using themes without footer widget areas will have the option to disable infinite scrolling when it is applied to their themes. Also note that those using Twenty Eeleven and Twenty Ten still don't have control of how many post appear on the front page as that has been set by Staff to 7 posts.

14. I apologize for the typos above. Though my vision is improving and will improve even more over the next few weeks (hooray!) I still have some issues with blurriness and focus today.

15. Reposting here for good measure:

Thanks for your feedback and patience, everybody. If you're using footer widgets to display content in your blog, you can now disable infinite scrolling by visiting your Reading settings, in your dashboard. We're still working on improving the reading experience with infinite scroll, including how well it integrates with your themes and customizations.

(Also, sorry for the hiccup on the posts per page issue. If you disable IS you should now properly see the posts per page you set.)

16. I can confirm that on my blog (Twenty Ten theme) I am now able to set the number of posts per page as I like.

For the sake of those with other themes with no footers, I hope that WP simply installs the same option button that did for Twenty Ten and Twenty Eleven.

@timethief - Glad your vision is getting better. We need your eagle eye to look out for us.

17. @matiasventura

(Also, sorry for the hiccup on the posts per page issue. If you disable IS you should now properly see the posts per page you set.)

Thank you very much for that.

18. Yes, thank you. It's fixed. Very much appreciated.

19. Thank you WP. We appreciate the rethink on this very much and you have lived up to your reputation! I really did not want to move, I like it here!

20. @teamoyeniyi
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/disable-infinite-scroll-with-custom-css?replies=20#post-817178
    When this rolls out to the other themes here that do not have footer widget areas, wuill we have the ability to diable infinite scrolling? I can't see any statenment to that effect and I have ablog that uses a theme that does not have footer widgets. It appears that option is only an option on themes that have footer widget areas with footer widgets installed.

21. The change does not even apply to Twenty Ten and Twenty Eleven UNLESS you are using footer widgets.

22. @mannerofspeaking: Sorry, your Lesson 1 is wrong. WP is changing things in this case because the feature was so obviously defective that they have to improve it. But in general Matt has an aversion to negative feedback. (Do you know that comments in the official wp.com blog are moderated?) WP didn't listen when users asked for reblogging to be optional (and Matt eventually closed the main thread). They didn't listen when they imposed a 30-minute block on volunteers in these forums. They didn't listen when users complained about the new HTML editor font (and told us to go complain in the wp.ORG forum). They didn't listen when users asked for the gallery carousel to be optional. The typical responses start with how great for us each new feature is, move to how wrong and how insignificant we are if we don't agree, may include false claims, and may end with: that's it and if you don't like it go elsewhere.

23. @TT - Now there is some difficult coding: display the option in the Reading settings ONLY if the user has a footer widget activated.

That means constantly checking the theme settings to see if a widget has been added into the footer in order to display the setting in the Reading options.

At least it is better than nothing. You can always have a footer widget with nothing in it - hopefully, anyway!

I agree it would be optional irrespective of footer widgets. However, at least there has been a shift from the original stance of treating the users like naughty children (rather unattractive approach).

24. Alright! This has definitelly made me happy for today. Now back to twenty eleven!

25. They didn't listen when they imposed a 30-minute block on volunteers in these forums.

Was that your nightmare or in real?

I did switch the theme to clean home with no footer widget. Should I switch it back to twenty eleven or some other having widget area?

26. Was that your nightmare or in real?

Is that question for real?

See here:
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/under-review-by-staff-is-annoying?replies=109
    Was in effect from July 2010 to May 2011, although staff presence in the forums never increased, and staff very rarely managed to reply faster than us.

27. Lo and behold! No infinite scrolling today.

28. @justpi, it is not off on all blogs. I just looked at my friends blog & it is still on hers.

29. I.S. gone for a while, along with the option in Settings > Reading, now back again.

30. kellywpa,
    does your friend have any footer widgets?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic