What's odd is that it hadn't done it until the past few days. But, you are correct in that it's the browser's fault. Sometime after I had made the post, I closed out all applications and went to "reconfigure" my aquarium. When I came back to WP later, the fonts were still really big, but at least the words weren't slammed into each other like a traffic accident.
I still think the fonts could be brought down a couple of notches. They are just too bold and large. It's not like it helps a vision-impaired person -- the rest of the dashboard uses much lighter fonts.
At least it's confirmed that the "crushed" words are just a browser quirk. Maybe I can apply a user stylesheet to fix those bulky words, etc.