Need help? Check out our Support site, then

logging in to wp-admin freezes Firefox 3.5.9

1. I've noticed in the last few weeks that logging in to my blog using this version of Firefox freezes it. Firefox takes up all cpu time indefinitely until I kill it.

Unfortunately I would prefer to continue using this version of Firefox.

Logging in to a blog I have using wordpress.org (using version, I think, 3.2.1) works fine.
    Logging into the wordpress.com blog with a different browser (e.g. Midori) works fine.

Can anyone suggest any workarounds for Firefox 3.5.9?

By the way, is there a quick way to work out which version of WordPress I am using (both .com and .org versions)?

The blog I need help with is covertsurveillanceart.wordpress.com.

2. The most recent stable version of Firefox is Firefox 13.0.1 and you can download it here http://browsehappy.com

3. The most recent stable version of Firefox is Firefox 13.0.1

Yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

4. Then try Chrome possibly. Can we know the cause of avoiding the latest Firefox version ?

5. Can we know the cause of avoiding the latest Firefox version ?

I would need also to upgrade my version of Ubuntu. Last time I did that it took me six weeks to get all my programs and settings working again.

6. I don't think you require to do that if you have a good internet connection. You can just export the existing packages list, reinstall a new version of Ubuntu, and then feed the exported package list (basically a list dump of packages) to apt-get. This is a crude way to get back the softwares in a new installation which you had in the old installation.

On the other hand you can always install Chrome or Firefox without upgrading your OS. Check this out if your repository does not have an updated Firefox: http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-install-firefox-on-ubuntu-linux-mint

Else simply download and install Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

7. You can just export the existing packages list...

Yeees, would that work with packages I didn't install through Synaptic, of which I had a surprising amount (because Ubuntu didn't provide what I wanted)? Also, upgrading Ubuntu meant that the current version of some software no longer worked with the new version of Ubuntu. I think Firefox 3.59 is the last version that works with Ubuntu 9.10.

Midori seems to be working for me. Maybe I just have to use several browsers.

8. I use Fedora and i am not used to Synaptic and Ubuntu repos. But, yes, reinstallation from source takes time, and you need mark all the stuffs you need to get along with the required dependencies. I still think that if you follow the link on my last reply before this you can make the new Firefox work. Also possibly Chrome should work. This is because I have friends running old version of Fedora, some has gone EOL and installed new Firefox and Chrome with some minimal dependency updates. You may try.

9. I still think that if you follow the link on my last reply before this you can make the new Firefox work.

Might give it a try next week:

This howto has been tested with success on the following distributions, with Firefox 4 to 13 and Firefox Beta:

CentOS 6.2 / Scientific Linux 6.2 / RHEL 6.2
    Debian 6 “Squeeze”
    Linux Mint 12 “Lisa”
    Linux Mint 13 “Maya”
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS “Lucid Lynx” (Long Term Support, until April 2013)
    Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot” (support until April 2013)
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS “Precise Pangolin” (support until April 2017)

Thanks for the help.

10. @phoxis
    Thumbs up! for helping this blogger.

11. @artprop:

Before trying the "simple 5 stepe" in the site, first try the "simple 1 step". Download that tar file, extract contents anywhere (from right click context menu), enter the directory, close any running firefox, then run the firefox in the directory just extracted. The executable should be in the bin/ directory. Best is enter that directory from terminal/console, then run that executable in that directory with:

cd /path/to/firefox13/bin<br /> ./firefox-bin

This is helpful because if it crashes the console will have some useful information on why it crashed, missing files etc. From that you can update specific packages. If you successfully run it, then make it permenant using the guide (also take backup of the old one as desscribed in the guide, in case you need).

Let me know if there is any problem, I will try to help you out.

@timethief: Thanks, :D

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic