I'm new to WP. I want to create my own home page. I followed the instructions given on the following website: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory. However, it doesn't seem to work - not really if I'm making a small mistake or missing something. I'll mention here what I've done so it may be helpful for you to assist me solve this problem - I'll put the instruction number rather putting the whole thing.
root dir - http://wattle10.*****.com/hdocs
1. created a folder in /hdocs/wordpress
3. changed the WP url to http://wattle10.*****.com/hdocs/wordpress
4. changed the blog address url to http://wattle10.*****.com
5. saved the changed. it did not show any messages - however I was unable to go back to that page if I clicked 'back'
6. moved all the files and folders to the newly created folder called wordpress. I also tried moving only the core files, as it said in the instructions but no luck.
7. copied the index.php file to /hdocs
9. changed ('./wp-blog-header.php') to ('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php') in the index.php
10. tried to login to http://wattle10.*****.com/hdocs/wordpress/wp-admin - no luck with this
Your help would be very much appreciated.