Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Need to reduce height of header in 2011

1. Could one of you pros guide me in reducing the height of my wordpress.com blog's new header image? I just need the right CCS code. Thanks for taking a look...

The blog I need help with is teresayoung.com.

2. And to be more accurate, I want to reduce the white space above the header, so the search field shows up within my header image.

3. First go to Settings > General and add a title for your blog, because having no title is bad for search engines.
    Then add this in the CSS editor:

#site-title, #site-description {
        display: none;
    }

If I were you I would remove the top border as well:

#branding {
        border-top: 0 none;
    }
  4. Wonderful, thank you! The only issue now is that the margins have narrowed. Can I get them back to their original full width?

5. You're welcome.

What margins?

6. Do you mean the side margins?

7. Yes, there are substantial side margins and a small top margin now when I view it using my laptop...

8. I suppose you are referring to the grey bg area. The theme has a fixed maximum width, and it's centered in relation to the browser window, so how much of the grey bg left and right you'll see depends on each computer's screen resolution.
    And the code I gave you didn't change anything other than remove the white part and the border above the header image. Compare with the default version of the theme:
    http://twentyelevendemo.wordpress.com/

9. Got it. So I just never noticed it before, right?

Thanks so much again for your help. I'm very, very happy with the result, and the fact that I got the help I needed so quickly and expertly!

10. You're welcome! (And yes, you probably hadn't noticed it.)
    If you don't like the grey part above the header, you can remove it this way:

#page {
        margin-top: 0;
    }
  11. I think I'll leave it alone. And thank you again!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic