Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Pages & Posts Deleted by Broken Link Checking Software???

1. slowyogaclasses

I was using Peacock Media's (http://peacockmedia.co.uk/) "Integrity Version 3", which is mac software to check for broken links on my blog (http://slowyogaclasses.wordpress.com/).

It did a great job and found several broken links, which started to check.

and then I noticed something strange...

Three of my pages (I had 11) had disappeared along with around 30 or so posts!

What happened?

WordPress.com seems to be working perfectly otherwise. But, it's as if the pages and posts never existed!

I was able to re-post old versions of the pages via Google's cache, but I have no idea how to recover the posts.

I do have backups, but it's going to be a hassle to re-post everything.

This really shook me up!

Perhaps the pages that disappeared were withdrawn from circulation by the WordPress.com system because the broken link checker was accessing them too much or using too many resources?

The blog I need help with is slowyogaclasses.wordpress.com.

2. slowyogaclasses

Oh, and there are no other users for this blog.

I changed the password just in case.

3. The link checker software followed the 'delete' links for each post in your wp-admin dashboard, exactly as if you had clicked Delete on each of them.

I guess the application used your browser cookies to gain access to the dashboard (which is password protected obviously).

4. slowyogaclasses

Hi tellyworth,

Thank you very much for this information!

5. It has happened once before of which I'm aware. In that case, the blogger got her stuff back via Google Cached versions of her blog posts, too. At least you thought ahead and had backups.

You can also use an offline blog editor like Blogdesk or Ecto or Windows Live Writer. That way you can just re-upload every post.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic