I had a few questions:
1) First concerning pingbacks:
According to the FAQ, pingbacks are dealt with automatically by the WP software. These are my assumptions:
- if outgoing pingbacks are enabled, then for every link included in a post the WP engine attempts to ping the URL,
- b) to most blog sites (and all(?) other sites) this ping is meaningless,
- c) outgoing pingbacks are enabled on the Options > Discussion page via the first checkbox under "Usual settings for an article".
(If any of the above is incorrect, please let me know.)
While "Usual settings for an article", indicates that all the options there may be set for individual posts, the "Discussion" box on the "Write post" page appears to only have settings for incoming pings and comments. Is there a way to enable outgoing pings on a per post or, even better, per link basis? Or is the global setting the only one available? (Perhaps the usual solution to this just to disable the pingbacks and use trackbacks?)
What software aside from WP supports pingbacks? (Is there a list in the docs somewhere that I've missed?)
Do the pingback settings have anything to do with Ping-o-matic notification? Or is that entirely determined by the setting on the Options > Privacy page?
2) The recent posts widget does not include any way to customise the heading that will appear in the blog sidebar. Is this a feature that could be added easily? (Should I add a separate forum post about this under "Suggestions"?)
I don't actually care about being able to add a customised heading for the widget so much as forcing the heading to appear in all lowercase. Is there some currently available way to accomplish this?