Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Reblogging

1. @slikbonez the point i am trying to make is that i have it written in my blog that copying is not permitted, either in part or whole. But that will be ignored if there is a link at the top of my blog for them to do just that.Yes i do own the copyright to my sketches, Pure and simple. If for instance you took one of my sketches and used it without my permission then you are in breach of copyright laws. Fair usage is just an excuse that plagiarists use to try and get away with what is actually theft.

2. @jintyinky I mentioned written content if you look closely at my reply...

"fair use act" trumps the no copy of your content if someone uses a snippet of your written content with correct attribution

3. @ slikbonez I'm not arguing about that and of course you are correct. But my point is that i am saying that people CANNOT use even just parts of my blog, and WordPress are saying YES they can. I am not giving permission for parts of my blog to be used, whether that's for fair usage or not, but it seems i have no rights at all with my own content, because WordPress are overiding my decision to NOT share.

4. "An opt-out would falsely imply that your content is safe and we cannot say that."

So you should introduce a feature that would imply that blogger's contents ARE safe. I know it is not doable but how wise is it to be doing the exact opposite of it? i.e, introduce a new tool to make it more easy for people to copy other people's contents without permission? This makes no sense.

Such feature at a social-networking platform is a common sense because at social-networking sites we're all copying/forwarding each others' bits and pieces. But I thought WordPress was a blogging platform where people write blog posts.

It is also understandable that not everyone writes original blog posts and you may be trying to introduce a social-networking piece into the blogging platform. But all that we're asking is you provide an opt-out feature for those who may not wish to participate in this social-networking game.

You provided an opt-out for Possibly Related posts feature (which by the way seems to have disappeared lately). So why not provide opt-out for this as well?

5. I completely agree with what @panaghiotisadam says. And @arifsali <quote>But all that we're asking is you provide an opt-out feature for those who may not wish to participate in this social-networking game.</quote> i support this.

An option in the account settings may be included for like in the Appearances -> Extras to enable/disable the blog sharing button, like the related links as @arifsali said.

6. To me this feature is a move away from real blogging

panaghiotisadam is right. Instead of WP finding more ways to make it easier for people to use our content, they should at least try and develop methods along the lines of Copyscape -- or just buy Copyscape -- to make it easier for us to find the people taking our content without our consent.

Again, keeping your base happy by simply adding an ability to “opt-in / opt-out” for new non-critical features would probably be a really good and easily added idea...

7. There's an obvious lack of understanding of copyright and fair use among the WordPress development team. End this travesty and add an opt-out feature.

8. I absolutely agree with arifsali that this new reblogging thing is way more fitting for a social networking site. On a blog platform such as wordpress, I would expect people who like my blog so much that they feel the urge not to steal but to promote me to write a little review of their own. Why thy like it, why their readers should read it. Whatever. Simply reblogging is not uncomfortably close to splogging, it's also unoriginal, boring and without news (of whatever kind) worth - all three integral parts of blogging.

Definetely want that opt-out possibility so that I can use it!

9. OK here is a problem. If I reblog a post from another site, and then reblog the reblog, all links to the original article are gone in the second generation reblog. The first generation blog gets the links and the credit for the reblogged post in the second blog, but there is no link back to the blog on which the post was originally published.

I've fought this with my self-hosted blog for years, and have shut down more first, second, third and forth, etc., generation reblogs that I would even care to try and count.

This absolutely sucks as from personal experience, reblogging of reblogged posts is not at all uncommon, and once the second generation reblog happens, there is NO link back to the original blog. Also, how many people are actually going to keep clicking back from blog to blog to blog in order to get to the original post? If they don't know about this issue of successive reblogs, they wouldn't even try.

This blows chunks wordpress - big nasty slimy chunks.

10. Pitiful.
    And don't works in secondary blogs (I'm not worried about it at all).

11. The first generation blog gets the links and the credit for the reblogged post in the second blog, but there is no link back to the blog on which the post was originally published.

12. I just added further thoughts to this thread.

http://wp.me/pkvq6-nS

13. Yikes! I've been busy and away from the forums for a while
    (and somehow this did not work: "You are subscribed to this blog (manage)" so I've been out of the loop…)

I saw the "like" splog-me button earlier today, (and I did not LIKE!)

but now it seems to be gone?

14. If I reblog a post from another site, and then reblog the reblog, all links to the original article are gone in the second generation reblog. The first generation blog gets the links and the credit for the reblogged post in the second blog, but there is no link back to the blog on which the post was originally published.

You're forgetting that reblogging does not post the whole article. If the user actually wants to read the entire post they must always revisit the original blog. It doesn't matter how many times a reblog is reblogged. In reality, the person reading the reblog is going to visit the original post, read it, then reblog from there. It makes very little sense to reblog a reblog.

15. Oh, never mind. The splog button is only there if one is looking at an individual post. Too blond: of course this only applies to posts, not whole blogs. Sorry. Am reading about this now…

16. I really do think people here are overreacting to what is simply making a FUNDAMENTAL blog feature easier to include, but it must be said that staff are under-reacting. There SHOULD be an opt-out button. We have the ability to opt out of Related Posts, so surely an Opt Out option isn't that difficult to add in this case.

If it IS added, I won't be using it. This appears to be nothing more than the enablement of quotation with source link, a basic feature of blogging. It is far less "grabby" than the Share on Tumblr feature, for instance, particularly since it only includes a thumbnail of the image rather than the full sized image. These are important distinctions to make: a snippet, not the whole thing, and a thumbnail, not the whole sized image.

17. why not simply introduce a feature to enable/disable this feature ? If any one likes to use, they will use, or will not.

18. As TSP said above he reblogged a post from my blog and then reblogged the reblogged post. This is what a reblogged post (1st reblog) looks like:
    Basic Netiquette for Beginner Bloggers (via onecoolsitebloggingtips)

1. All links to the original article are gone in the second-generation reblog.The read more and site link at the bottom of the second-generation reblog link back to the second blog, NOT to the original.

2. The possibly related posts links to the reblogged post, NOT to the original.

19. @ jintyinky: You don't understand: fair use means that people have the legal right to take small quotations (and even a thumbnail, if it is small enough) from your content with or without your permission.

20. Fair Use does not necessarily mean that people have the legal right to use other's content. In fact, the copyright office recommends getting permission first. Here's the explanation:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

21. I find it incredible that WordPress is basically ignoring its top voluntary support people. They're all recommending an opt-out feature.

22. I don't. We members are not now nor have we ever been part of the decision making process. WordPress introduced this Tumblr copycat option with the intent of receiving accolades for presumably for increasing blog exposure and traffic for members. They did not expect the response they got from a minority who do not want their blogs included. Staff time and enery has been committed to [re]creating the feature and installing and an ongoing commitment has also been made to collect stats. All they need to do now is provide a means of opting out just like we can opt out of possibly related posts.

23. @raincoaster yes i do understand copyright. But you telling people here in this forum that legally they can take parts of my blog content without my permission was not such a great idea was it. No-one can use copyrighted work without the permission of the owner. Fair use is nothing more than an excuse for people who haven't got minds of their own, to steal other's ideas.

24. This is legitimised content theft.

The only place I want people reading my content is on my blog. That way I know what they're reading, how popular posts are (or otherwise).

That WordPress think this is a good idea beggars belief.

That they don't provide an opt-out is criminal.

25. @apeatling " You're forgetting that reblogging does not post the whole article. If the user actually wants to read the entire post they must always revisit the original blog."

Everything I've read so far suggests the whole post is reblogged, hence my objections (and I'm by no means alone in believing that). I'd have no problem with just reblogging, say, the first para or two, with a link back to the main post.

Can you confirm - with absolute certainty, that the whole post will NOT be reblogged, please?

26. Yep. Confirmed. The whole post is *not* reblogged. Try it out!

27. Someone asked if you can "unreblog" a post. To do that, go to the "Posts I Like" tab on the WordPress.com home page and click the "Remove Posts" button below the post you want to unreblog.

28. [1] WordPress.com has options to make a blog private, which only will allow visitors which the blog owner wishes to allow.

[2] WordPress.com has options to blog google or other crawlers from getting into and indexing your blog.

[3] Wordress has options to block comments and visitors from certain IP address.

[4] WordPress.com has options to hide related links below the blog posts

All of them gives flexibility to control reachability and visibility of the blog. But all of a sudden.

[*] WordPress.com also has a feature which enables some one to reblog (partial or complete post doesnot matter) with a single click, and which surprisingly CANNOT be disabled.

Let me give an analogy:
    A student wants to write his practical copy at the last moment which can only be submitted in writing : He has go buy a copy (open the new post window) copy from his friends' copy (copy from the blog, wither partial, or complete), and then finally submit.

Another student also wants to write write his practical copy at the last moment which also can be submitted in computer printout. He asks his friend to email the practical digital file, copy-paste it in his HDD, schedules the laser printer to print that file, goes for a walk. End of story.

The first option and the second option are the same, but the first institution where the copy has to be submitted has some resistance, where one has to manually write it. But the second one has such a feature which removes the resistance and makes the way easy.

29. What i personally have a problem with is that i am denying people permission to reblog from my blog, which i have every right to do, but WordPress are overiding my decision by enforcing this reblogging on my blog. And it IS enforcing, because there is no option. I am sick of people thinking they have some kind of right to take content that is copyright. If i say my content is not to be distributed in any way then i should not be forced into having a feature that easily allows it.

30. panaghiotisadam

Agree with phoxis: options options options everywhere - but suddenly a stubborn refusal to consider that in this case. Instead, we are supposed to believe that this mindless auto-posting is no different than a quotation in a post. We are supposed to believe that it's ok since it's only an excerpt. (Really? Splogs that rely on my RSS feed aren't splogs anymore if I 've set my feeds to Summary instead of Full Article?) And when the opt-out was first suggested (in the comments of the announcement with the ridiculous title "We All Like to Reblog"), the reply was "If you’re concerned then you can still make a post private, or your entire blog private." Priceless.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic