Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Recommend a book for World Book Day 2011

1. Hiya, guys.

With World Book Day coming up tomorrow, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about what books we'd recommend as a good read, and why. I know many of you love books and everyone on here has a passion for writing (or we wouldn't be blogging, right?), therefore I'm looking forward to some interesting suggestions.

I'll start by recommending a dog book for children: 'The Hundred-Mile-An-Hour Dog' by Jeremy Strong. It's very funny, witty and extremely well written, and is one of our family favourites. Here's my post about it: http://mylittledog.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/give-your-chil…-book-day-2011/

Which book (from amongst all your favourites) would you pick as your top recommendation for World Book Day?

Didi

The blog I need help with is mylittledog.wordpress.com.

2. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. Funny, heartbreaking, a celebration of the human spirit under duress.

3. Gosh, this is so weird: I only finished this book a couple of weeks ago. I completely agree with you, it's a brilliant book and an unforgettable lesson of humanity. Strongly recommended.

Didi

4. What is the What - Dave Eggers. The sad life story of a Sudanese refugee who made it to America.

Under the Dome - Stephen King. An entire town is cut off from the outside world by a big dome. Think the Simpsons movie, but as a horror/thriller. It is rather long though...

5. I read what I always read on Dr. Suess's birthday...Green Eggs and Ham, Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? and of course The Cat in the Hat. ;)

6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.. and the rest of the series. Really good books. A murder mystery, love, and some other twists in there.

7. @ andy2k146 - The first book sounds very interesting and very much like the kind of book I like to read. I'll add it to my to-read list. I'm not sure about the second one. I'm not put off by a long book, but I'm not much into horror.

@ bats0711 - Read them, my girl loves The Cat in the Hat.

@ Savanna - I've got to get my hands on that book. It's got a high profile lately, everywhere you turn people are talking about it. It must be good, thanks for the recommendation.

8. Kind of agree with @andy2k146 about Under The Dome. It kept my interest, because I wanted to see how it ended. But it is a bit long.

9. The Girl series is good, but not excellent which I thought it would be because of all the hype it was getting. Kind of let down.

10. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. The book that has been copied by Hunger Game. Battle Royale is far better than Hunger Game

11. @bats0711 - I'm not surprised to hear this, hyped up books, films, etc. very often tend to disappoint. Maybe we build our expectations too high...I'll still be keen to read at least one, just so that I can have a pertinent view about it. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

12. Oh definately read them didi because they are good books, I just was expecting so much more.

13. disposablebanter

The road of lost innocence - Somaly Mam - raw and honest book about the journey of a Cambodian woman who was abandoned as a child and forced to work in a brothel.

14. Here's my latest: V.S. Naipaul - 'The Mimic Men' (1967) - spellbinding work employing the confessional narrative method to tell the story of Ralph Singh, a rich West Indies leader who losses everything and becomes just another immigrant exiled to a London suburb. An extraordinary journey of self discovery.
    Not a surprise that V.S. Naipaul was eventually awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

15. Oh Goodness! What a challenge.

I suggest The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. About the lives of two boys growing up in Afghanistan. Briilliantly written - as spellbinding as it is tragic.

16. A great book and an easy read is "The Cold November Son" by Kjelden Cundiff. I loved the story. A father tries to teach his son a lifetime worth of lessons over a few short months knowing that he won't be there for him. The twists along the journey will keep you turning the pages. I finished it in 2 sittings.

17. thehappyhealer

there are some great ones already listed... I would have to add almost any copy of the Tao... something we could use as a reminder...
    I also love the Tao of Pooh, The Secret Life of Bees and Othello :)

18. I have always been partial to Russian Writers. Maybe a collection of Pushkin's short stories.

19. Ecology of a Cracker Childhood by Janisse Ray

Palatable environmental lit.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic