Re: Summary of issues with WordPress.com post and page editors arising since WP modification on 22 September:
If I had my druthers, I'd change the title of this thread because the added scrolling time, the major complaint caused by the imperfect September 22 post editor modification, is only one of many strange post and page editor problems, that appear to have arisen at about the same time, but which have no clear relationship to the scrollbar removal and other modifications to the editor windows. It's possible that some or all of the other issues indicate early stage WordPress 4.0 defects.
Here's the principal issue addressed in this thread, in a nutshell:
I. Removal of the internal post and page editor scrollbars:
This, and the attendant modifications of the post and page editor window by WordPress on 22 September, together are the principal concerns addressed in this thread. The modifications, according to numerous complaints by WP users in this thread, have resulted in more difficult access to the publishing panel, tags, etc. Many users have noted that the changes have resulted in more work and time required to edit and/or tag posts, or to perform other administrative chores because now more time is necessarily spent scrolling.
However, most if not all of the user complaints related to this modification might be resolved by unpinning the administrative sidebar modules (in posts: Categories, Publish, Tags, Format; in pages: Page Attributes and Publish) so that they remain beside the editor window as you scroll. Thenakedlistener, at Jul 23, 2014, 12:10 PM, alludes to such a fix in his excellent summary of pros and cons regarding the principal issue, though he says "pin" whereas he meant "unpin." The sidebar modules are already pinned. We want them to move alongside the editor window as you scroll down and up.
II. Other issues, arising at about the same time:
The majority of the remainder of the NEW issues which I've noticed since the modification went into effect yesterday (22 July 2014) and which others have been complaining about in this thread, do not seem to have any necessary relationship to the removal of the editor scrollbars. These issues include, but are not limited to the following:
A. Issues I've noticed and reported:
1. YouTube codes are stripped as soon as pasted into post or page editor in visual mode, as noted by me and (possibly) theteaspilleddaily.
2. Text from WordPad, Notepad and presumably other similar editing tools is stripped as soon as pasted into post or page editor in visual mode.
3. Cannot center or flush-center paired images in visual editor as was easily accomplished for at least the past 3 years.
4. White space of variable size, usually quite large, at top of editing window while in visual mode. Not present in text mode.
5. Gallery editor button does not work with latest Firefox version, the brand new 31.0. Therefore cannot edit any galleries with the new FF browser. Gallery editor button does work as normal with Google Chrome. Have not yet tried an earlier FF version.
B. Issues others have noticed and reported:
1. Links are stripped when copied and pasted, according to theteaspilleddaily. I was unable to reproduce this failure.
2. Poll button doesn't work, according to member disperser. I was unable to reproduce the result described.