Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Scheduled Posts & Pinging 2

1. Question about pings. I schedule my posts for midnight, so unfortunately they do not notify Ping-o-matic. I also noticed that Google, Yahoo and other major sites are not pinged by Ping-o-matic. Would these two problems explain why my posts are not being picked up and indexed? It has been 2 months since I started my blog here. I have also attempted to be verified by Google, but I understand that I can not do that here either.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Laurel

2. I can't add anything to the pinging issue that was not discussed in your earlier thread, but with respect to verification it is possible and many of us have done so, thanks to the workaround detailed here:

http://tigredefogo.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/how-to-make-google-verify-your-wordpresscom-blog-verify-site-ownership/

3. Ping-o-matic is supposed to automatically happen when we "publish". I have discovered that it isn't always happening. So, I manually ping Technorati and pingoat after every post I publish.

4. Hello ellaella, thank you for this link. I created a page and was able to be verified on Google. Hurrah. After viewing your beautiful blog, I noticed that the page that you created is listed under your site map. Your site pages are not listed in your right hand column. Is that your design choice? I am curious because mine are, and of course it includes the Google page that I just created, which is a bit unsitely. Could you kindly tell me how you choose to not display the page listing in your design? Thanks again, Laurel

5. You can delete the page or make it a Draft once Google has located it.

6. Hi, Laurel -- I'm glad the verification steps worked for you and thank you for the kind words.

My theme is heavily into pages and I've never had them in the sidebar. At one point, I did use the archive widget, but I read somewhere -- here, I think, but I can't swear to it -- that Google not only objects to duplicate content on different urls, but is not happy with duplicates on the same blog/site. So I ditched the widget in favor of the page. Perhaps someone really in the know can confirm or scuttle this.

The sitemap is another matter entirely. I discovered, after verification and deleting that page, that I needed to re-verifify every 5-7 days. So the sitemap page really exists only to have the child page with my Google code so I don't have to keep re-verifying. It works like a charm and I "borrowed" (stole) this idea from a fellow wordpress.com blogger at http://roadsofstone.com He's been very helpful to us all in this regard and you might enjoy browsing his blog too.

BTW, I'm a Jane fan also.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic