Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Skeptical: What was Staff Response from 9/19/2011?

1. Almost a year ago, on 9/19/11, a WP Staff member wrote:

We can look into the possibility of not displaying posts at the top of the page if they also appear in the Featured Posts section (above the footer area). I can't promise that we'll make this change, but I will bring up the idea.

Quote Source Link: http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/skepitcal-recommended-posts-are-the-same-as-the-ones-on-the-home-page?replies=8

As it was then & still is, having the stickies show up at the top of the page AND above the footer area is, per prior comments (& I agree 100%), "redundant" & "bad design" & makes using the feature at all void, impossible, & useless.

Since the above quoted Staff person said they were going to "bring up the idea" on 9/19/2011 to remove the redundancy (keep the sticky option above the footer area but remove it from also appearing at the top), I, for one, would love to know if this adjustment to the Skeptical theme is still under consideration, or was it rejected outright when above Staff person "brought up the idea"?

(Due to the invisible-colored font in this theme's sidebar & footer area, when using a darker background color, none of the text is legible -- such as Twitter feed, Recent Posts list, Recent Comments list, etc. etc. -- ditto for Triton Lite, btw, same problem. Don't theme designers realize people would like to use darker background colors as well as lighter colors? -- It is for that reason that I thought I could make use of the sticky area above the footer -- which has a white background -- that I could at least add "Recent Posts" & "Recent Comments," etc. in that sticky area, but obviously that is impossible unless/until Staff deletes the stickies from ALSO appearing at the TOP of the page.)

It would be nice if Topics were not closed so often & prematurely without followup responses, especially when it was statedthis theme's dysfunction was going to be presented to Staff almost a year ago.

Thanks.

2. I, for one, would love to know if this adjustment to the Skeptical theme is still under consideration, or was it rejected outright when above Staff person "brought up the idea"?

This thread has been flagged for Theme Staff attention. Please be patient while waiting for them to respond.

3. Excellent! :D Thank You!

I'm loving the red color option across the top of Skeptical (w/ dark teal background, great looking combo). But so frustrating standard widgets text is invisible in sidebar/footer, so thought that lower sticky area might be a solution.

Just discovered TwitStamp.com as a solution to the invisible WP Twitter widget text. So that's very cool!

4. Howdy! In looking back through our records, it was decided this change would not be made to Skeptical.

That said, this is a larger problem with how we handle featured content areas in general. The short version: using Sticky posts is a poor method for a number of reasons. We're well aware it needs improvement, and we thank you for your patience while we work on a better solution for all themes!

5. Thank you, SixHours, for going back & finding the answer. Great to know better solutions are forthcoming. Looking forward to them. Thanks again!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic