Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Slideshows not working in IE V9.0.9

1. lisahillschoolstuff

Hello
    I've uploaded a whole lot of slideshows to my travel blog, using IE9 V9.0.9, and they were working just fine in Russia (yay, my family & friends loved them!) but now that I'm home they're not viewable on IE. I've checked using Safari and Chrome, and they're ok using those browsers, but all I see using the IE browser is a big empty black box.
    So I think it's an IE problem. Is there anything you lovely happiness engineers can do to fix this?
    I'm running Windows 7.
    Thanks, Lisa

The blog I need help with is hillfamilysoutherndivision.wordpress.com.

2. lisahillschoolstuff

Well, they seem to be working today...and I haven't changed anything. Just a little WP mystery, I guess...

3. lisahillschoolstuff

But today they're not working again, that is there's a big black empty screen if I view my blog in IE9 and there's a u-beaut slide-show working just fine if I view it in Firefox. I see from a search here on the forums that others have the same problem.
    See http://hillfamilysoutherndivision.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/victor-hugos-house-paris/
    I have taken two screen shots (one of IE9 and the other of Firefox) but I can't see any way to upload them here.

4. Hi Lisa,

One of my coworkers was able to view the slideshow on that post without any issues using IE 9.

Can you try clearing your browser cache and disable your browser add-ons?

5. lisahillschoolstuff

Hi Bryan, thanks for getting back to me. It's mysteriouser and mysteriouser. Yesterday (24.9.12) I used MS Fixit which clears almost everything except the kitchen sink it seems but it made no difference at all. (Not even after I rebooted).

But today, lo! My slide shows are back working properly. Very strange.
    I've cleaned out the cache and cookies again just to be sure, but this is something I do regularly anyway (routine maintenance).

I still have the other problem that I think is connected somehow which is that some sites including don't recognise that I have the latest version of IE9 installed & kept updated. For example, if I visit http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-bionic-book-worm-8168123.html for example, I get an error message if I try to comment. It says, Sorry, the browser you are using is not currently supported. To use the comments, Disqus recommends the following browsers:Firefox Chrome Internet Explorer 9 Safari. And IE 9 is what I'm using.
    For ages, I've been getting WP reminders to upgrade to IE9 or I won't receive notifications, when I've had IE9 all along. For most of the past fortnight, my stats haven't loaded in IE9 but load ok in Safari. It's very puzzling.

6. My slide shows are back working properly.

Glad to hear it!

I still have the other problem that I think is connected somehow which is that some sites including don't recognise that I have the latest version of IE9 installed & kept updated. [...] It says, Sorry, the browser you are using is not currently supported. [...] my stats haven't loaded in IE9 but load ok in Safari

This definitely sounds like a browser–specific issue.

In Internet Explorer, can you go to Help -> About, then take a screenshot of the About window and upload the image to the Media Library of your WordPress.com blog?

7. lisahillschoolstuff

Ok, have done that.
    Cheers
    Lisa

8. Hi Lisa,

Thanks for uploading the screenshot. Hmm, that is quite strange!

Can you also load the page that's showing the error "the browser you are using is not currently supported", and upload an uncropped screenshot of that, too?

9. lisahillschoolstuff

OK, have done that too.
    (I appreciate the trouble you're going to).
    Lisa

10. Sure thing! :-)

Can you see if this Disqus support page helps?

Troubleshooting Disqus 2012 in Internet Explorer 8/9

Also, I should've actually asked if you're seeing a similar message in your WordPress.com dashboard. (It shouldn't appear there since you're using IE 9.) My mistake!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic