I do not need help with this as I have sorted out the issues with the several Posterous imports I have made to different blogs. I thought that it might be helpful to flag these issues up as they might affect others here and are not obvious when an import is apparently successful.
Over the past year, I have exported several blogs from Posterous and then imported to WordPress.com, with lots of posts and images, and there were no problems with the import process itself.
However, in case the following issues affect anyone else, after you have successfully imported:
- look at your WordPress.com content in "text" view for any posts or pages that have media embedded, to check that the media have actually been imported. If you see a lot of code embedding content on Posterous, your media might not actually have transferred to your WordPress.com blog.
- Check your Media Library on your WordPress.com blog. It might be immediately obvious that there are far fewer files there than there should be. Your blog might look fine but the media files are actually still hosted on Posterous.
- Media that are unsupported in free WordPress.com blogs, like audio and video, might appear to have been "imported" but they will just be in links to media that is still embedded back on Posterous. These will disappear when Posterous closes at the end of the month so you need to upload them somewhere else and then embed the links in your WordPress.com blog.
- Do not assume that you can go back to Posterous, even now, to download and re-upload media files. My audio files disappeared off Posterous just after they announced that Posterous had been taken over by Twitter.
- pdf files are embedded on Posterous via Scibd. I replaced all these embeds as I wondered if they might disappear too, even if they are still saved somewhere on Scribd. Even if you have a Scribd account, the Posterous embeds are not linked to your Scribd account.
Hope this is helpful - not long now before Posterous disappears!
The blog I need help with is perranporthveteransmissing.wordpress.com.