Setting those instructions aside you will note that I do not have sticky posts on my blogs and I do not have static front pages. I consider both to be traffic killers. People come to blogs to read fresh content and returning readers are not likely to be pleased with having to click through the same blah, blah, blah page every time they come to read fresh content.
I believe that prior to making the static home page choice bloggers ought to consider:
(1) how information in their blogs can be most easily accessed by readers and by search engines;
(2) who their target audience is;
(3) what their metrics reveal about who their current readers are and where they are coming from;
(4) whether or not a static home page is likely to result in delivering more readers via search engines;
(5) whether or bot retuning visitors will be annoyed if they have to click through a static front page to locate fresh content every time they visit the blog;
(6) whether a static home page is likely to result in more conversions from casual passers through to regular blog readers/subscribers.