Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Tags: Adding & Editing & Managing

1. I am having trouble adding tags to my posts.

I have read many items in the Forum including FAQ and I am wondering if my editing page has the options discussed in these places. For example on the http://faq.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/how-do-i-manage-edit-delete-add-arrange-my-tags-screencast/ page it shows a menu I can't find. It says go to Manage>Tags and I can't find that anywhere. It also says that on the edit screen for any particular post there is a place to add tags. I don't see it. All I have is on the Dashboard a Post Tags button in the Posts box. When I go there it allows me to add a new tag but it makes no sense because it doesn't specify for what post.

I know this has probably been gone over a dozen times and perhaps there is something i should have read but didn't but i am very new to blogging, not a certified geek though many of my best friends are geeks, and i swear i have spent a lot of time trying to find the answer. would someone be kind enough to help me?

thank you

The blog I need help with is personne.wordpress.com.

2. Sorry. Forgot to add this note. One small problem I have (though depending on your pov it may not be that small) and is probably why i can't understand too well the FAQ page is that my computer (imac 4.1 os 10.4.11) doesn't play the screencasts very well so i hardly understand a thing. feel at liberty to sneer!! I'm used to it. thanks.

3. panaghiotisadam

The screencast is outdated.

(Perhaps you'll find this useful:
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/a-guide-to-the-new-dashboard-pt-1?replies=8 )

Before the implementation of WP 2.7 last December the main concept in the organization of the dashboard was a "Write" section, for creating new stuff (with subsections for posts, pages, categories etc.), and a "Manage" section, for editing already existing ones (similar subsections). Now it's a "Posts" section, with subsections for everything that has to do with posts (editing existing ones, creating new ones, adding and editing categories and tags), a "Pages" section, with the relevant subsections, etc.

In Posts > Post Tags you get a list of your existing tags. That's only useful if you want to change their wording or delete a tag. You can also add new ones there, but that will just make them available in the list, not attached to a particular post.

Posts > Add New (for creating a new post) and Posts > Edit > click on title (for an already saved post) take you to the main post editor. That's where you do the tagging of a post: the screen includes a "Post Tags" module. If you don't see it, click "Screen Options" (top left) and tick the option.

For saved posts, there's also the Quick Edit option (Posts > Edit > hover under title). You can add tags to a post there too.

4. Thank you so much. That is very clear. Don't know why I didn't see the tags option before. And the link to a description of the new dashboard was also very helpful. Much appreciated. be well.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic