Need help? Check out our Support site, then

The new "comments I made" feature is horrible

1. I concur. The new 'My Activities' feature is fine - new and interesting - but is not (as yet) a means for replacement of 'Comments I've Made'.

The 'Comments I've Made' page was SO useful to follow up a conversation or to interject on another conversation between original poster and another commenter. I miss it and wish it could come back.

2. Although I appreciate everything WordPress offers for free I have to echo the sentiments of those that find the loss of "comments I've made" as a bad bad move.
    I don't want or have time for the email option of following comments throughout the blogosphere.
    If nothing else I would like to see a WP official at least offer an explanation such as space issues on its servers or the like.
    All in all "comments I've made" is a feature more important and useful than the "Activity" screen hands down.

3. From my point of view form should follow function. Unfortunately the new page "My Activity" http://wordpress.com/#!/activities/, which replaced "Comments I made", works vice-versa: anything is "bigger" and more colorful, but much less useful:

- Worse overview: I can't see my comments at other blogs _at a glance_, but only between the posts I liked.

- Less functionality: I only see _my_ comments. I cannot see if anyone answered them and I cannot answer directly, so I explicitely have to subscribe any post which I commented to get noticed about answers.

Please undo this or add a sub page for comments only to "My Activity". Thank you.

4. maritimosphere

At first had the same problem as brookewilkerson and thought there was some sort of glitch causing "Comments I've Made" to be redirected to "My Activity". It took me about a day to find that my comments were attached to the posts I had commented on . This feature is very, very annoying and I much prefer the "Comments I've Made" page.

5. I've been going diddly trying to find the 'comments I've made feature' as well; I thought someone had hacked my blog. This is a very bad move by wordpress, most of us depend on that feature to keep track of conversations, seeing as the 'comments' feature only shows what transpired on your own page. This is madness. Sometimes it's okay to admit you made a mistake. Please WordPress, this is driving everyone crazy: give us back our 'comments I've made feature.'

6. I agree: the new "feature" sucks, IMHO

7. The new feature isn't bad, but it's only a one way traffic conversation: to whom I've commented. Would be nice to see what they said as well. Maybe wordpress will be offering a new 'telepathy feature' soon. Boy oh boy, I can't wait.

8. I don't want any comments I have made or comments anyone else has made displaying in my reader at all

If I cannot have the option to click a button and eliminate their display then I am resilient. I will simply unfollow every blog I have followed in my reader and follow them externally as I did long before we had the reader and it's earlier iterations.

9. Done! I unfollowed all of them.

10. You've lost me on that one thief, don't understand you at all. The only way to follow a conversation now is through the comments notification..that's too much conversation. It doesn't matter any more, what's done is done and we have to live with it. Maybe I'm just too tired to understand anything right now: 3am in Berlin. Good night.

11. Not to worry. Have sweet dreams. There are other external means of following the comments one makes on any sites.

12. lindacassidylewis

My thumb is wayyyyy down on this change! The whole point of Comments I Made was to follow what was said after and in response to my comment. How ridiculous is it to show me only what I said?

13. Thanks for the feedback folks, we're taking this all very seriously, and rest-assured that we're not done iterating on the new My Activity section.

I'd like to clear up one common misconception here. The idea that your comments have been injected into the Reader is simply not true.

While http://wordpress.com/#!/activities/ does appear to be the Reader with your comments and likes added to it, it is in fact entirely separate from http://wordpress.com/#!/read/following/

http://wordpress.com/#!/read/following/ will always feature just the posts from the blogs you're following

http://wordpress.com/#!/activities/ will feature posts that you have liked and commented on (plus your comments).

We're still working to make little improvements around the new system and greatly appreciate your feedback!

14. Even if the idea is to separate out those features that are unique to WordPress.com to the New Dash, let me add my voice to say that the new iteration of my activity on WordPress.com is a far cry from the old "Comments I've Made."

It's not about the comment I made, but those comments that came before or, more importantly, after it. If you can't display those in the activity stream, then you've missed the point.

And I'm not interested having all my activity mashed up into one stream. Keeping "Posts I like" and "Comments I've made" separate was a much more efficient way for me to deal with the information.

Also, no interest in signing up for "comment notification" for every post I comment on here at WordPress.com. I get enough email each day from WordPress.com as it is, thank you.

15. The trend is obviously that 'the users don't like the change,' it's not working for anyone, except the person who thought of it. WP can sell this lemon til the cows come home - "we don't want it, it's useless without seeing what the other person said." How hard is that to understand? Maybe the person who thought of it usually holds conversations with themself in front of a mirror! Is WP going to force this useless feature on everyone simply because they can, like "it's our site, we do what we want take it or leave it!' This is absolutely ridiculous.

16. @justjennifer you have hit the nail right on the head.

"It's not about the comment I made, but those comments that came before or, more importantly, after it. If you can't display those in the activity stream, then you've missed the point."

That was the beauty of the 'comments I made'. People might incorporate a reply to your comment in their own and that kind of to-and-fro is surely what the blogging community is all about.
    We aren't blogging in our own little worlds, it is the constant interaction with others that MAKE it a community.

17. I think that the "follow up comments" being displayed is essential. I would often see a reply to a very old comment I had left somewhere, and this would start a whole new conversation. Now I'll never know.

18. This is just to much, how am I supposed to se what my bloggcolleges have commented now?
    It's like when we all started blogging, you have to look into every blog several times a day to keep up :(
    It sucks!!!

19. It's like when we all started blogging, you have to look into every blog several times a day to keep up

Of course what will happen is we won't. We might check a comment we left for a day or so, but after that we will just forget about it and replies will go unanswered. This means that hits will go down over WordPress as a whole, as a lot of people find other blogs through comment dialogue.

20. To clarify, I have no problem with the my-activities page. Some people might like it or find it useful.

The problem is that it fails to replace the primary function of the my-comments feature.

Please give us back a way to easily see all the replies to our comments and, if possible, other comments on posts where we have commented.

21. macmanx, thanks for responding. I'm sorry to say that every change WP recently has made has torn my community apart. What's especially disappointing is all the technical glitches (caused by infinite scroll and stuff not working on the iPad) yet WP is more focused on pulling the rug out from under our feet with no warning.

Please if you guys do just one thing for us, bring back the Comments I Made feature.

22. Also Macmanx I'd love to know *when* we will know the final decision. It's really tough having connectivity with friends on this platform now. If anything I would love to see WP work on more community features, not less. It's starting to feel like a really stiff site. As my friend puts it, more like a hotel than a home.

23. The problem is that it fails to replace the primary function of the my-comments feature.

Please give us back a way to easily see all the replies to our comments and, if possible, other comments on posts where we have commented.

+1000

24. agree! I need to see who answered my comments easily. Pls. return to my comments functionality!

25. Let's say I liked a post some weeks ago and can't remember the title? How do I filter for just posts/comments I liked in my activities stream?

Will the stream not get flooded when you aggregate all these informations into it? How do you not loose the overview when you follow a couple of blogs, comment here and there and like several posts? I'm no fan of scrolling or white space but love it short and sweet.

Please come up with something more useful and "overviewy" ;) It's not like I read my emails in the form of a stream but have a program like Thunderbird that provides some form of overview.

26. Maybe this is their way of strong arming us into subscribing by email. Do they get more $$ the more they can pile up email subscriptions? I blocked all of mine, who has time to click on dozens of emails separately? Well maybe they won out this time, but I'm looking for another blog home and WP isn't getting another dime from me.

27. T

he problem is that it fails to replace the primary function of the my-comments feature.

+1000

+2000

28. Don't think they're listening, or care, but if they are, the least they could do is reactivate the old feature until they figure out how to present the new to everyone's satisfaction. Is that to much to ask? Or must we go down on bleeding knees! Each day this continues, is one day2many.

29. scriptorobscura

I couldn't agree more with lexsborgia above. +1 billion.

They don't care AT ALL. They figure what the heck, they can ride out the storm till everyone settles down, they don't care if they lose some people, they have millions of bloggers, so a couple less here or there doesn't matter at all to them. After all, we're just "beta testers". They don't give a ****, and they don't want to listen to anyone. They know they can do whatever the heck they want and get away with it, without caring what any user thinks. After all, we're not paying customers or "VIP's". They figure they can afford to lose a couple hundred, thousand people more or less, they don't care. They know they're number one and they can do anything they want. So goes the world, eh. Sigh. I REALLY hope this so-called "feature" *rolls eyes* will be repealed immediately though, though I'm not holding my breath. I haven't accessed the "comments page" at all since they did this and I will never do so, if they don't change it back. I'm considering switching to another blog platform too, though Blogger from Google looks to be the only alternative. We shall see.

30. After all, we're not paying customers or "VIP's".

Actually, some of us are paying for specific upgrades, but that doesn't render us deserving of or entitled to anything more than what the upgrades we purchased states.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic