Need help? Check out our Support site, then

The new "comments I made" feature is horrible

1. I use this to check what other people say on the post. I don't subscribe because my email gets flooded. This new feature is awful. Is there a way to get the old one back?

I don't know what you people are doing but it's just plain awful.

The blog I need help with is inthebarberry.wordpress.com.

2. You beat me to it, ameliespp.

I use the "Comments I've made" from the Dashboard heavily and I do not like the new My Activity with all the photos and blurbs from the post I commented on. There are none of other people's comments following my own, which is why I used the "Comment's I've made". Not everyone clicks reply to the individual comments. I like the ease of just clicking on the reply to get back to the post, if I have more to add.

I would not use a fancied-up page that includes my own comments only.

3. I don't need to see the comments I've made in my blog, they're always available to me. It's finding my comments in the the blogs of others that I want to be able to find.

And... how do I go beyond the past 30 days?

4. I especially like how they did this on a Friday night so they could get away with it. How about some warning on this stuff?

5. Great Leaping lizards!

Do not need and do not want my comments appearing in the Reader.
    http://wordpress.com/#!/activities/
    Please, please, provide an opt out.

Al I want in my reader is permalinked titles to posts published in the last 72 hours in blogs I follow accompanied by a brief intro. That';s all I want.

Do not want or need or appreciate: categories, tags, like buttons, IMAGES (yes! I shouted that) sharing buttons, reblog buttons, COMMENTS, etc.

6. @ameliespp
    Of course, they do this on Friday or on the day before they go off on some sort of conference or working meetup. LOL :D Do note that we who have not drank the Koolaid and who would not be seen dead in cheerleader outfits pumping g pom poms will never ever constitute a majority when responding in the negative to any new feature. Staff can and always will take the position that millions love whatever it is and only a few posted to support forum to say they did not love it.

That being said don't lose your sense of humor. I have to remind myself that chnage is the only constant in the universe and recall that I was negatively orientated towards infinite scroll but I have done a complete turn around.

7. Timethief, I agree, but I thought maybe it was a reader showing which ones I've commented upon. I use the dashboard and comments I've made to follow most places I'm having a conversation. The orange light up comment button hasn't been consistently working to tell me there is a reply to my comment or others comments on a post where I am having discussion. But, the comments I've made also reroutes to the $*@#^ reader, which also has me lose the nice grey bar with all of my navigational things! PLEASE SAY IT'S A GLITCH! sigh

lol I know it's NOT good when YOU use bold and a ! thanks for that laugh but supreme dismay here

8. uhm wait, is there another way for me to view a complete list of every comment on a blog where i've left a comment, without my having to remember and revisit? perhaps i've missed it? (hopefully)

9. @sensuousinkspiller

It's finding my comments in the the blogs of others that I want to be able to find. And... how do I go beyond the past 30 days?

You can search your own comments by username using the searchbox on this page > http://sensuousinkspiller.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php

10. @Timethief - LOL so true!

This truly is some weird Kool Aid they've given us. I already <i> know </i> what I've said in the comments, for the love of god!

11. @elisasspot

uhm wait, is there another way for me to view a complete list of every comment on a blog where i've left a comment, without my having to remember and revisit? perhaps i've missed it? (hopefully)

There was until they combined the two. Now it does not exist anymore.

12. oh, so they charge a lot of people a lot of money to make nifty blogs and then make it impossible to maintain relationships, very smart marketing NOT, someone dropped the ball ok

on to the technical....
    if they are going to force the single black comment, after I already know what i said, are they going to do a 'more' or a drop down to expand it right there in the reader? That would be a pain, but well at least I could see it all without mucking all over and losing my place and structure.

13. scriptorobscura

Oh my god I couldn't agree more!!! I HATE this new comments page. HATE it with a passion, even more than I hated Infinite Scroll!!! I know they don't give a fig about our opinions since we're not paying customers, those of us who haven't bought any upgrades that they've been shoving down our throats, I know they just boast that they have millions of testers that they can just use to experiment new features on and then just ride out all the backlash till people get used to it, but man, of all the stuff they've pulled lately, this has gotta be the worst ever. Even worse than that being automatically subbed to all comments on all posts ever. At least there was an opt out option for that. God I hope they don't keep this new comment page as a permanent feature. It has completely and totally destroyed the comments system and that's putting it VERY mildly, I'm holding myself back here for the sake of the posting rules. But god this makes me angry. I really hate this new comments page. Please remember this cardinal rule, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!

And in a milder tone:

Please bring back the old page for viewing comments that you’ve made. The new one is horrible and awkward and ugly and confusing. Please don’t try to fix things that aren’t broken. Now the whole commenting system is broken, confusing and impossible to read comments except your own. This is a horrible awful and unnecessary change. I know my little comment won’t change a thing and WordPress won’t care but I had to say it, the new page for viewing your comments is AWFUL. Had to add my voice. Didn’t know where else to except here.

Ugh.

14. I see this loss of Comments I've Made as disasterous. It's going to cut communciation between bloggers to zlich. What fine brain thought of this? And why? Can anyone explain the advantage of this? Was it costing money to provide this most vital of features? I am thoroughly mystified. Would the powers that be like to explain it to me?

15. This is horrible and I hate it!!! What is wrong with WP??? I agree, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!" If they keep this up, they are not going to have any blogs, which is about the point I am at.

16. I actually am a paying WP user (the feature I paid for did not work) and btw do you see the Welcome Posterous Users notice? The site is shutting down in April. So I'm sure WP is feeling pretty sure of itself but I'm predicting a mass exodus based in this. I'm thinking Typepad but I'm open to other suggestions.

17. brookewilkerson

Oh, my goodness! I thought I was just losing my mind or had just mindlessly mis-clicked & ended up seeing what I thought was my reader with my comments attached, not realizing that I actually HAD clicked "comments I've made". So glad I found this forum because I couldn't replicate how I had stumbled onto that weirdness. Do NOT like! Want the comments page back.

PLEASE, WP guys, put it back to something more like we had! I don't care if the layout page is a little different (since you seem intent on moving everything away from our dashboards) but it was such a useful feature - not it's something I will never use!

18. ilcoloredirosso

My slow internet connection makes loading "activities" a f**kin nightmare (hate that reader too). It's like someone is on meth in the background, and they keep changing shit around just to mess with your head.

Hey WordPress, quit tweaking out with your platform (please).

19. Unfortunately I have to agree. Infinite scroll isn't a bad idea, I just find it poorly implemented and under functioning. This new function for comments I've made feature is hard to characterise as anything but a bad idea. It feels like a horrible bait and switch to give me a comments I've made button then send me to the activity feed.

20. I don't like this either - like others, I used this feature to check if there had been further comments in threads where I had commented, and not to see what I'd said myself! Hope it gets changed back soon.

21. As someone who used the Comments I've Made function for about 75% of my WordPress interactions, I find this recent change particularly frustrating. I used to click on the link and it would take me to all the comment back-and-forth and conversations between my friends about our posts; now that same link takes me to a picture from my most recent post and one side (my own!) of the resulting conversation. I'm not sure what WP was shooting for here, but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.

It feels like someone has intentionally severed the tenuous ties that keep my little online community together. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep track of things under this new system. Perhaps I will turn the computer off and go outside. It looks like it's nice out there.

22. I don't get it as well.

Why does it list comments I've made on my own blog? Pretty redundant. Same goes for the fact that it only lists my own comments. I know what I wrote. I don't see the information value in it unless I see comments that followed mine.

I can't find the "Posts I like" and "Comments I like" links. Have they been removed meanwhile? How do I check the posts/comments I liked?

What I really wanted to see in the Reader would be the "Your stuff"-Module from the Dashboard. That's the only place I would discover new posts in other blogs which I'm a member of or new comments that aren't a reply to one of my post/comment (talking about P2 blogs here). I would always have to visit the dashboard of one of my blogs to get that information. Why not adding it to the reader with a "My stuff" link. In this way I would have all the information in one place. :)

And last but not least, is it a coincidence or why are features always added/removed on a friday/before a support closure/company meetup/a conference like SXSW? Do you have something like "Feature Friday" at Automattic? ;)

Cheers
    Martin(IQ)

23. Color me not impressed with the "upgrade" either.

24. @timethief:

You can search your own comments by username using the searchbox on this page > http://sensuousinkspiller.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php

Thank you! I knew about that, it gives me the comments I've made in my own blog, which I already have. Sorry I wasn't clear, when I wrote:

I don't need to see the comments I've made in my blog, they're always available to me. It's finding my comments in the the blogs of others that I want to be able to find.

And... how do I go beyond the past 30 days?

I meant beyond 30 days in this new, horrible reader way of finding my comments in other blogs.

25. I agree with mef1974. This really severs the community feel of WordPress. And it was weak to begin with. I use Comments I've Made to see responses and join in the conversation with others. It's now a useless and unreadable black box that regurgitates back at me what I've said on other blogs. I already know what I said.

Please someone suggest other blog platforms that work decently and have a good community feel. Typepad?

I'm sick of the constant changes here and god knows what they're going to pull next.

26. I use Comments I've Made to see responses and join in the conversation with others. It's now a useless and unreadable black box that regurgitates back at me what I've said on other blogs. I already know what I said.

Yes... that's my feeling too.... exactly that. Heads up guys.... an "improvement" is only an improvement if it actually improves anything. This new change is.... well... pretty much worthless. Now time I could be spending blogging is now time wasted having to individually check every Blog I may have commented on to see if there has been a reply.... either that or just end up looking like a jerk who doesn't continue conversations. Wonderful way to convince people to comment less.... not more.

27. So, I guess this new "my activities" feature also lumps in the posts of which I have clicked the "like" button.

This means I have to load a crapload of posts I didn't even comment on, thus pushing the ones I did comment on way to the bottom.

Plus, as someone mentioned, my ability to navigate discussion has been shot.

Hey WordPress, having discussion doesn't mean having to load every single post and loading all the pictures and graphics, it just means reviewing the list of printed text...kind of like...well...the way that was before you changed it.

WordPress, gah!!

28. I was trying to follow a thread and forget it!!! This is so stupid, and I do not know who had this "bright idea" but I will be sure and not hire them! There is no way to follow anything without loading everything! What a waste of time and energy and so much aggravation! I will not be here long with this. I closed my last blog down for months due to changes and some of my followers did also. Looks like it might be down for me again. BRING BACK THE COMMENTS I MADE! It was simple and easy. Who needs this with blogging? Not me! We are not here to work on computers we are here to enjoy a "blog" for goodness sake!!! Please WP keep that in mind!

29. It would be REALLY NICE to get the "comments I've made" feature back. Until it, or something like it comes back, I have little or no reason to use wordpress. This is about communication, and I can't communicate with anyone if I can't keep track of the discussions.

30. Aaarrgh! Yet another change that only caters to people in countries who have fast internet connection!

I would like to add my voice to those annoyed with the new format of the 'comments I've made page' but as yet I haven't been able to get it to work.

This option was one of those vital things that helped keep you in the conversation on blogs you regularly commented on. Does this change mean now we have to go back to every post we have commented on recently to keep up?

When WP got rid of the (general) forum last year, those of us who complained were told to do our socializing on our blogs instead. Now they are doing their best to stymie our efforts in that case as well!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic