Hello again thescaredpath,
You have kindly helped me in the past so many thanks for replying to my query.
"I see you have the background set to white right now, is that the general look you were wanting for the main site?"
The look I am after is a simple layout with the photos of my fabric to be the main focus. I wanted my content to 'fill the screen' instead of having the central column in the middle with lots of empty background space (hope that makes sense)!
Which leads me to...
I have added the code you suggested with a value of 1700px which seems to fill the screen - thank you for that. I hope this value won't create any problems elsewhere, I will change it if you think it isn't appropriate.
"I see on my iPhone that the title comes out like this (portrait and landscape orientation):
It does this on my galaxy Samsung 3 but only in portrait mode, seems to behave in landscape for some reason.
"If you can give me a little more information on what you are wanting things to look like on smaller devices such as phones,"
I had naively assumed that the theme would automatically adjust itself to the smaller screens and would just look like a proportionally smaller version of how it looks on bigger ones....I did say naively...... Is that too much to expect?
There are changes I would like to make in the 'header' area and wondered if I should make these first and see it affects this problem.
1. Remove the grey horizontal line at the top of the screen
2. Remove the search box on the top right corner
3. Reduce the amount of space at the top of the page above the site title
4. Change the size, colour and position of the site title (make it bigger and move it to left aligned
5. Change the size and colour of the site description (make it a little bigger)
6. Move the position of the site description so that it is on the same line horizontally as the site title but is right aligned
7. Alter the height of the header image so it isn't quite as tall.
Hope this makes sense and apologies if I am not using the correct terminology.
Thank you again for your help - it is very much appreciated.