Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Vote for the 10,000 (and rising) Ethiopian Street Children

1. It takes just 2-3 mins to register and then make your vote. If we can get Jason into the Top 20 (the judges only look at the Top 20) by next Wed - 3rd April - he has a very good chance of winning which will enable him to go back to Ethiopia and get this atrocious story out there to everyone! Thank you. H

http://www.nameyourdreamassignment.com/the-ideas/florio/childhood-interrupted/

Childhood Interrupted

To bring to light the extreme hardships of the estimated 100,000 children that live on and under the streets of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Many children are victims of child trafficking and family abuse and were forced to escape to the street.

Three years ago I was photographing in Addis Ababa the capital of Ethiopia and I met a young boy called Bruke who had runaway from a small village because of an alcoholic and physically abusive father and a step mother that did not want him. Bruke, when I found him was living with his friend Oromo in a small concrete hole that was 3 x 4 x 5 ft in size that was in the median of a very busy road. He was surviving, like so many of the street children there off left over plate scraps from restaurants. Through an outreach center that tries to help the estimated 100,000 plus street children that live in the Mercato market area of Addis I was also able to talk to many other children like Bruke who had escaped not just abusive families but were victims of child trafficking and prostitution. My dream assignment would be to return to Addis and make a detailed photo essay with audio interviews with the children that would bring to light the horrors of child trafficking and the extreme dangers that these young children face everyday on the streets. The ultimate dream would be to use part of the money to find Bruke and help him establish a life off the streets. If I cannot find him then I will donate part of the money to the Forum on Street Children, an NGO that helps rescue children from the hardships life on the streets of the Mercato area.

Please take a minute to vote for this and help me create awareness about these young children.

Deadline for voting is April 3rd. Thank you for taking the time.

The blog I need help with is hellyj.wordpress.com.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.