I did not have a WP account but clicked some link to receive notifications of posts on someone else's wordpress blog. I have since decided I like scanning new posts to all the blogs I follow across all platforms in an RSS reader and do not want emails anymore.
So at the bottom of emails that are coming in, is a link that says "Unsubscribe or change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions". Clicking that link brings me a wordpress log-in screen. BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT, I ONLY WANT TO STOP EMAILS FROM COMING TO ME FROM ONE BLOG.
I tried clicking Lost Password and entering the email address to which notifications are being sent, only to be told there is no account with my email address. No sh*t, Sherlock!!
So I decided, OK, I will temporarily create an account using the same email address to see if I can unsubscribe from notifications from this one blog i no longer wish to follow. So I skip the blogname field because I DO NOT WANT A WORDPRESS BLOG, I only want to unsub from notifications!! And I fill in a username and my email etc but I cannot get past the form unless I make up a blog name!!
the funny part was, this blog name is not available:
LOL. Clearly I am not the first person being put through this rigamarole.
So i make up the following blog name:
and the registration goes through. Now I have to find a confirmation email. Click the link. NOW AND ONLY NOW CAN I GO TO A PAGE WHERE I CAN UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE BLOG.
Let's review what people go through in order to unsubscribe from email notifications, when they do not want or need a wordpress.com account:
1. Click the unsubscribe link. Notice that some sort of log-in is required.
2. Click the Lost Password link, enter your email, and get an error saying you do not have an account.
3. Click a Register link, create the name of a blog you do not want to use, be sure to enter the same email address at which you were receiving notifications, type in a password.
4. Check your email until you get the verification link. Click on it.
5. Navigate to your subscriptions page where you will see the blog you have been getting notifications from. Change the setting to Never.
and the most important part is this one:
6. After you unsubscribe from notifications, and post a lengthy rant to the WP forums about what this silly platform puts casual readers through in order to stop notifications from coming into their inbox, TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CLOSE YOUR SHINY NEW WP ACCOUNT, *never* to be revisited.
Thank you for listening. And, no, I will not be so stupid as to click "notify me of followup posts via email" on this post. Oh yes, that reminds me:
7. NEVER EVER CLICK TO GET EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS ON ANYBODY'S WORDPRESS BLOG BECAUSE IT IS HELL TO SHUT THEM OFF AGAIN.
The blog I need help with is ionlywanttounsubscribe.wordpress.com.