Need help? Check out our Support site, then

When I upgrade to my own domain does the old sub-domain get a 301 redirect?

1. Hi Guys,
    When I upgrade to my own domain does the old sub-domain get a 301 redirect or will anyone trying to connect to my current blog sub-domain (after the upgrade) get a 404 error?

The blog I need help with is eznetseo.wordpress.com.

2. I meant to say "When I upgrade to my own domain does the old sub-domain get a 301 redirect or will someone trying to go to eznetseo.wordpress.com get a 404 error after the upgrade"

3. The old domain still continues to function, it's just that in the browser bar the new domain will show up.

4. Alright I think that what you are saying is that the old sub-domain URL will get a 301 redirect to the new private domain that I register, but I am not sure if that is what you mean or not.

Basically what I mean is that per say if a few other websites are currently linked to my blog (inbound links) will those links on their websites be automatically redirected by WordPress to my new private domain URL?

This is called a 301 redirect.

5. if a few other websites are currently linked to my blog (inbound links) will those links on their websites be automatically redirected by WordPress to my new private domain URL?

yes that is what will happen - your blog will have two addresses - the old pre-domain mapping and the new address - if you set things correctly the new domain name will show up in the browser window

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic