Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Why has WP destroyed my hit count with the Topics Reader?

1. Staff, simply stated, could you please change it back to the way it used to be?

We have no plans to change it back at this time.

2. @nickmomrik
    Despite the fact I don't like the answer, I do thank you for the clarity.

3. I want to thank an engineer for responding. I'll do a more detailed response later, but for now and quickly--

It's the UX that matters. There is all the difference in the world between arriving at a page of thumbnails YOU CAN TAKE IN AT A SINGLE GLANCE, and scroll, scroll, scroll, no matter how fast the scrolling takes place.

From an engineer's standpoint (and using the computers I bet most engineers have ;-) the fast scrolling is a technical achievement -- and I'm sure it's an excellent one. But it's the difference between speed and velocity --- velocity is speed with direction. All the speed in the world makes no difference if you're going in the wrong direction, and from the UX perspective, that's exactly what's happening.

As for "Rome" wasn't built in a day, sure. But last I checked, Rome wasn't ripped out from under the inhabitants without notice, and a street system they knew and could navigate ripped out and replaced with a "speedy" street system they didn't know and didn't take them where they wanted to go! There really is a trust issue here in how this rollout was done. The best way to address it is to give the users some sort of commitment to the kind of UX they're telling WP that they want. We're not just venting here.

4. We have no plans to change it back at this time.

Based on what? What requirements does the new interface satisfy? User testing?

5. @roughseasinthemed

'Rather than Rome being built in a day, seems to me it has been dismantled.'

Ding!

6. What a big, glitchy disaster.

So you desperately want to be like Twitter and (you're kidding) Tumblr? Blogging fulfils an entirely different social function so why force everyone to homogenise their user experience?

It doesn't matter how many engineers assure us that it's for our own good: it isn't. It's a great big PR disaster. Huge. And no one's really listening to us.

We get a pretty video showing us how fast a lucky engineer can scroll, but if it's an inferior system it can travel at light speed and it won't make any difference!

You have to listen to your users, or your users won't use you any more, and you'll lose everyone to one of your competitors. That could actually be happening already.

I think we should all switch our blogs to Private in Privacy settings on the dashboard so we don't bring any traffic at all to a company that rudely ignores us.

Who mentioned Rome? Can you smell burning...?

7. I am about to loose interest in checking out other blogs and I think the same is happening to other people. In the last days I have had about 20 less visitors per day. I never know if I am looking at the blogs I'm subscribed to or at the blogs categorized under a particular tag. Don't like it. They could have introduced reader (errr...or was it there all the time?) and kept to tags pages as before....

8. My hit count from new users has significantly reduced too even though I post at high usage times, and I am also less likely to scan through to look for new content. I just conclude that people can't be bothered scrolling through.

The previous format was compact and easy to read. Now whenever a post has an image or video there is a massive scroll through of said image and video. The standout blogs stood out, now they are lost in a stream of annoyance - a stream of annoyance that never stops. You can never reach the bottom for long enough to click on the forums (or any link on the bottom of the page). Quicker to flick over to google and search from there.

9. As @macmanx has stated, one of our goals with the Reader is to start putting things into one location instead of spread out. In the Reader you can quickly switch from reading the blogs you follow, to reading Topics you follow, to finding new content. Following, reblogging, liking, and creating new posts are all right there.

That's great, in that sense the interface is slicker... how about showing thumbnail views, presenting the first few lines of text, rather than loading full images at almost full size and hiding youtube videos. This would reduce the amount of scrolling between posts, and compact the vast number of posts into something more easily scanned.

10. I have been sad to see my viewership drop since the change and have assumed it was due to the recent change from topics to reader. I have been having a hard time with the "wait there's more" message also but mainly when I am trying to find my latest posts which I never seem to be able to find, I only had this problem a few times prior to the switch. I do need to make a post thanking my followers for continuing to be so loyal but I do miss the newbie viewers.

I understand the buggie issues and trying to make your tech guys' lives easier but I know many folks prefer WP.com vs WP.org because of the sense of community that came with the old Topic view. As I started my current blog always intending to gear it towards SEO and eventually move it off of WP.com this change has just pushed me to work toward that change sooner than I intended.

I do have to say it has reduced the pressure I felt some days to go and find new blogs to look at and read. I find the new reader format unappealling and that is enough to discourage me from "just browsing". I'll use it to look up specific things but won't be using it for "window shopping" most days.

As a former CS manager I do not envy the position you have been put into nickmomrik but do appreciate your honesty. You are not an upper mucky muck that makes these decisions but you get the unpleasent job of trying to defend it. For all we know you don't like it either...

Anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble everyone. I hope you have a great weekend inspite of being annoyed with the current state of WP.

11. Geesh Nick, give it up. No matter how well you say the new format SHOULD work, NOBODY likes it or wants it anyway. So while you guys behind the scenes are patting each other on the back and copping a "too bad for you" attitude, the bloggers, who drive WP, are unhappy and are just supposed to get over it?

I have been sad to see my viewership drop since the change and have assumed it was due to the recent change from topics to reader. I have been having a hard time with the "wait there's more" message also but mainly when I am trying to find my latest posts which I never seem to be able to find, I only had this problem a few times prior to the switch. I do need to make a post thanking my followers for continuing to be so loyal but I do miss the newbie viewers.

I just did a post thanking my subscribers because I'm not seeing any new visitors since the change. I used to get new subscribers and visitors with almost every post now I get none. Nothing, Nada. Zilch. Crickets chirping. And in turn, I am not discovering any new blogs because the reader is so irritating. Scrolling is clumsy and slow for browsing new content. It's just too awkward.

12. I'm not sure what good it does in expressing an opinion around here, as this place isn't a democracy.

But this new infinite scroll reader change for tags and topics is unbelievably inefficient and not user friendly at all. It's so, so bad I don't even use it. I used to spend a lot of time browsing for new blogs and content on the old tags board. I stopped doing that entirely due to the new system being so cumbersome.

Some people here have said that traffic was not driven by the old system, but that seems like an odd claim considering how many people, myself included, have experienced a dramatic decline in hits while at the same time saying how much they hate the change and are not using it.

13. My hit count's down too - I'm fairly new to WP (a year and a bit) and loved it to begin with, but seeing my numbers going into decline just as I was building up a decent hit-rate is really discouraging. I'm definitely thinking of jumping ship.

14. Regarding that screencast. . .yeah, the reader looks just like that on my machine. Is that really how it is supposed to function? It's a total nightmare! Rather than scanning with eyes over an entire screen full of blog posts and choosing within seconds which ones to click on, now we have to manually scroll choppily through one post after another, one at a time, laboriously on down the list. If we want to take a second look at a post we scrolled past, then we have to manually scroll back up the list looking for it rather than just glance with eyes. I appreciate that WP is constantly trying to refine their system to provide a better experience, but it's a terrible change.

15. The new reader is very buggy too, I did what I was told, put less than 10 tags, and the reader still didn't display my blog. I don't get what is going on. It is so confusing and so many people using wordpress blogs and looking for alternatives, what is WP going to do about it.

16. All I can say is that a lot of requests were made for a Like button on the home page, and on everything. Timethief would regularly insist that Like buttons were unnecessary on the Home page and so we wouldn't be getting them. Shortly after that, they appeared where we wanted them and revolutionised the WordPress experience.

This was a prime example of listening to the WP community and responding accordingly.

'The customer is always right' isn't really up for discussion.

It better be Beta, guys...

17. WP needs to go back to the old viewer...period. You can follow all of their rules about posting, content, proper and limited use of tags, etc and your post still doesn't show up. I started using WP in January because of it's simplicity and ability to create traffic to my blog but all that is gone now. I really hope WP listens to the feedback on this issue and works this out or goes back to the old system.

18. @markjwallis
    You have spoken wrongly and I'm not impressed with your trolling. I had nothing whatsoever to do with the change to location of the "like" button" and you are making up nonsensical connections where none exist. Previously, there were some themes that did not display like buttons on the front pages doe to how they were coded despite this:

Troubleshooting
    If you are having trouble showing the sharing buttons on your blog, please check the following:
    I can’t see the buttons on the front page.
    Make sure to select “Front Page, Archive Pages, and Search Results” for “Show buttons on” setting. http://en.support.wordpress.com/sharing/#troubleshooting

19. WP are also assuming that every country using this worldwide platform has access to the same fast internet speeds to load the constant scrolling. I wish!

I used to have a look at Topics every day, now I can't even get the reader to load. The only way I am getting new blogs to look at now is to look at the Gravatars of people who have commented on other blogs I like.

20. @metan1
    If you log out of WordPress.com then you can access the Topcs (global tags) pages.
    Example: Log out and try putting this in your upper browser bar and then clicking http://wordpress.com/tags/history/

21. Point is the majority of users will not log out to view new posts (or even know they can) in the old viewer. This also does not address why posts are not appearing in the new viewer once published.

22. @thenicolniche
    That's true. Staff have clearly stated they are not going to reverse this decision at this time http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/why-has-wp-destroyed-my-hit-count-with-the-topics-reader/page/2?replies=51#post-884514 As I am a solution orientated person I thought I would share what I did above with metan1 in this thread as take it or leave it information.

23. @Timethief.

I'm not trolling but you were adamant in several posts that the Like button would not be modified, and you implied that there would be no consultation or discussion on the matter. That wasn't an attack on you but an observation of your posts which still exist. I was also merely observing that after your posts on the subject, the Like button was changed. My point, as if I need to reiterate was that things can be changed to suit the user, even after we've been told they can't. So there is hope.

I'm sorry you had to take this as a personal attack. And please don't accuse me of trolling, thanks.

24. @Timethief.

I'm not trolling but you were adamant in several posts that the Like button would not be modified, and you implied that there would be no consultation or discussion on the matter. That wasn't an attack on you but an observation of your posts which still exist. I was also merely observing that after your posts on the subject, the Like button was changed. My point, as if I need to reiterate was that things can be changed to suit the user, even after we've been told they can't. So there is hope.

I'm sorry you had to take this as a personal attack. And please don't accuse me of trolling, thanks.

25. @markjwallis
    On topic comments that are not personal in nature are in line. Any others that are off topic and personal are not in line.

Are you sure that each and every one of the over 190 free themes and premium themes in the Themes Showcase can accomodate the display of sharing buttons and like buttons on their front pages at this point in time? No, you are not so please stick to the issue in this thread.

Staff have clearly stated:

We have no plans to change it back at this time.
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/why-has-wp-destroyed-my-hit-count-with-the-topics-reader/page/2?replies=54#post-884514

You find that hopeful and I don't. Enough said. I removed the flagging an hope you will not come at me again.

26. I changed from blogger to WordPress because I liked the community aspect of it, but now that is disappearing. My stats are down by over a 100 a day.

I don't find the reader works at all. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble loading the reader, it doesn't work properly, and I know WP are having problems with it and working on them, but by the time they are fixed most people will have stopped using it.

I have had times when I scroll down, then another blog is loaded and it takes me back up to the top and I have to do the scrolling all over again.

I don't understand a company that doesn't listen to its viewers. Do I need to go back to my old blog at blogspot, I will end up with the same number of hits that I do here, surely. It is so silly.

27. Thanks timethief, I'll give it a try.

28. @metan1
    I was trying to help you make the best of a bad situation. You're welcome.

29. roughseasinthemed

I guess those of us who persist in commenting on this live in hope despite nickmomrik's comment. Because maybe at some point, someone will actually appreciate that scrolling down is a bad experience to scanning across thumbnails.

I have a couple of other questions:

1) If this is meant to be the brilliant interface of the future (which, just in case no-one has got the message, it is NOT), why is freshly pressed still in the old format? Not that I ever looked at it, and I am wondering if anyone else did/does?

2) How about all those people who actually like the change say why they like it? That would be really interesting.

PS, my random hits are still down, and I can't be bothered to look at topics any more either.

I think our happy engineers are confusing hits and readership. Regular readership comes from like-minded souls. Sure google sends lots of hits, but they rarely stay or comment. My most popular blog on blogger attracted loads and loads of hits - did they comment or stay? No. That's what I want and that's what this crazy change has affected.

30. I too detest the new reader. Does anybody know of any other websites that had layouts similar to the old topics page? I would like to return to browsing blogs in a user-friendly way.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic