Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Why has WP destroyed my hit count with the Topics Reader?

1. @nickmomrik
    Now you have lost me, what global users? I can't find anything on my blog about global users. Where do I find that?
    I can see the countries.

2. global tags, not users.

I apologize if you think I was rude. On your Stats Page, click on Referrers, then "Referrers for 7 days" then look at the thirty day totals, and look for any referrals from the tag pages. Nick is saying the referrers from the the topics / tags pages you've received over the past thirty days have actually come in the past seven days.

3. Sorry: "Nick is saying the [majority of] referrers..."

4. @nickmomrik and @feartheseeds
    I can see that, I think, it still seems very odd.

I can understand getting frustrated with us all, and I can also see that you are under a lot of pressure right now, but I think it is important we keep our heads straight. I think you guys might have to accept that people are going to be angry, frustrated and confused. If you appear aggressive then nothing is going to get solved and everyone will go around and around in circles. It is unfortunate that you are copping it, but I believe it can all be solved amicably, hopefully. I know you can't help everyone, and not everyone is going to be happy with the results. Deep breaths.

Thank you for all your help. It is nice that you do respond, and do seem to want to help.

5. Oh yes, we are very aware that people don't like everything we do. Anytime we make a change to anything you'll find a thread similar to this in the forums. We are interested and do listen to feedback.

6. @nickmomrik

You kindly asked for an example of one of my posts which shows up in the old grid format at wordpress/tag/(subject) but not in the new reader.

Here's one I just posted:

http://abandontv.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/lessons-in-propaganda-from-government-education/

Once again it is not showing up in the reader anywhere, but if I log out and then go to wordpress/tag/(subject) I find it is showing up in the grid layout.

By cross referencing the two it seems that a lot of other posts (by other bloggers) are not making it to the reader as well.

Thanks for looking into this.

7. @thismightbepropaganda, it has 11 tags+categories. Please see #1 under http://en.support.wordpress.com/topics/#missing-posts

8. @nickmomrik

I had no idea this was a new rule. Thanks for pointing that out! ..... RTFM! ;)

I just want to add (FWIW) that I *strongly* dislike the new reader as a concept (especially the vertical and infinite scrolling format). This is regardless of any technical issues/ user error on my part.

It just does not suit how the human eye / brain scans a screen. I'm guessing it is designed for tablets and iphones .... I can only suggest (ie beg) you to consider giving us the OPTION of a grid layout as well as the vertical/ infinite scroll. To me having both options available would be a no brainer.

Thanks for the help anyway.

9. compassandcamera

@thismghtbepropaganda

Totally agree with your points about disliking the reader, and have similarly posted on another discussion thread that having a CHOICE between the topics page and the reader would be an ideal solution.

The Reader has taken the wind out of a lot of sails, including mine. I have not clicked through to any blogs since its implementation -- I've spent more time following this forum than anything else.

10. My latest post, posted more than 3 hours ago has not appeared in my followers reader. I did add a thread about it but @timethief kindly led me here to this thread. My post has obviously shown in the Topics reader somewhere as i have 2 random 'likes', it's just not appearing in my followers reader, and some of my friends are only following my blog so it's not as if the post could get lost with other posts!!

11. thebirdingbunch

Nick,
    I use tags a lot, not really for my visitors, but more for myself to find old posts when I need to. If the number of tags is above ten, is the only drawback those posts do not show up on the reader?

Is this limit new, as was asked above? I've read in the forum to try to keep them below twelve, if I remember correctly, but I didn't know going above would cause anything except maybe having a lower page rank on the search engines.

I like that idea of having a choice! If it is possible. My biggest thing about these changes is they are just implemented (as far as I know) rather than being notified ahead of time. Possibly a notice through our Dashboards? Would this possibly cut back on some of those coming here saying something is broken?

12. I knew there was a limit to tags and categories, but didn't know 10 was the sudden magic number, until a staff member kindly informed me. It would be helpful if we received notification of these changes, like thebirdingbunch says, and also, why does the page that pops up when you publish encourage us to add yet more tags?

New users would find all this confusing, and if we all need to come to these forums for help on such simple matters then there is a lot more going wrong at WordPress than just the Reader.

I hope the infinite scroll isn't going to appear on our home pages.

It's more of a rock fall than an infinite scroll...

13. @thismightbepropaganda, it's not really a new rule. That was also mentioned on the old global tags Support document which was converted into the Topics document. It's just being enforced more than it was in the past.

@overbyhere, if you follow your own blog, do the posts show up in Blogs I Follow for you? If not, let us know the URL of the post that isn't showing up and we'll look into it.

@thebirdingbunch, More tags shouldn't hurt you with anything else on our site that I can think of.

@markjwallis, infinite scroll for home pages has been in the works and has been already rolled out for many themes long before this Topic change. You can see it in action on my site: nickmomrik.com

14. @nickmomrick no i don't follow my own blog, that's a bit odd as i know what i post!! Anyway i just clicked follow it to see what came up but nothing showed in my reader. My friends say the post is still not showing in their reader and it's at least 4 hours now. The post in question is http://overbyhere.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/photos-newport-wales/ i have done nothing different for the post to suddenly not show. Thank you

15. @overbyhere
    I logged out of WordPress.com and located your post. It's the featured post on this Topics page http://en.wordpress.com/tag/wales/

16. @overbyhere
    P.S. I forgot to say that your post is appearing in my Reader.

17. Thank you @timethief but as i said i knew it was appearing in Topics because of the random likes but it's not appearing in my friends readers who follow my blog and it's 5 friends so that's a bit odd, and i wouldn't know about any of the other followers, perhaps none of them can see it. Thank you though @timethief for going to the bother of logging out etc to check for me, that was kind of you.

18. I knew there was a limit to tags and categories, but didn't know 10 was the sudden magic number, until a staff member kindly informed me. It would be helpful if we received notification of these changes, like thebirdingbunch says, and also, why does the page that pops up when you publish encourage us to add yet more tags?

New users would find all this confusing, and if we all need to come to these forums for help on such simple matters then there is a lot more going wrong at WordPress than just the Reader.

I've routinely had more than 10 tags on my posts and never had a problem with my posts showing up on the topics page....instantly. I did finally see some of me posts show up on the Reader - they were 2 days old and were listed as new!

19. thebirdingbunch

markjwallis, I looked at your blog and you should be fine. I use Adventure Journal with footer widgets and as of this time this prevents the infinite scroll. They do not give the option to turn it off on our home pages, so this has been used by some as a way around it. There are a couple blogs I visit with the infinite scrolling and it is more than a little annoying.

20. @thebirdingbunch, thanks and I hope we are given options when it comes to this urgent need to replicate Facebook and be tablet-friendly. I want to keep my footers, and I think we can all learn from the fact that you can no longer access the footer in the Reader, because it keeps jerking away before you have a chance to click on anything!

Also, the left hand column in the reader stays at the top of the page, so if you've been scrolling for a long time, you have to go all the way back up to the top of the page to access it.

Surely the left hand column should stay static on the screen (top left justified) and only the main column have scrolling function? It makes me think that all these changes are a bit rushed and not well thought out.

21. @overbyhere, I reprocessed your posts and now they are appearing properly in Blogs I Follow in the Reader. If you continue to have a problem with your next post, let me know.

22. Also, the left hand column in the reader stays at the top of the page, so if you've been scrolling for a long time, you have to go all the way back up to the top of the page to access it.

When you scroll down a certain depth anywhere on WordPress.com, you can click on the blank area of the toolbar to jump back to the top. We recently rolled out a buttony-type thing that shows up in the middle of the toolbar (when you scroll down a bit) to help draw attention to this.

23. @nickmomrik thank you very much. 5 of my friends are only following my blog so the scrolling wasn't the problem as the post just never appeared above the previous one and they had to come onto my blog to 'like' the most recent one. thank you very much for your time and your help.

24. We've increased the topic limit from 10 to 15.

25. I keep reading how traffic generated from the old tags pages was negligible. I previously commented that that didn't seem true considering how precipitously traffic to my blog has diminished since this latest change. But as per others I'm linking two things that are not connected, the change to decreased traffic.

So, is anybody aware of other changes such as how Google is running that might account for such a dramatic decrease in traffic to all these blogs? Is it really just a coincidence that just after WP changes from a user friendly tags page to one that is cumbersome and slow the traffic plummets? I don't get much traffic to begin with so any loss is substantial and so far that loss is about half.

26. @jackelliott1, You have 1 referrer from global tags over the last 30 days.

If you change the stat chart to look at views per week, your traffic actually started to decrease from a high point starting 8-9 weeks ago, not when the tags changes were made. Fluctuations like that are quite normal when most of your referrers are coming from Search Engines.

27. Thanks for the reply! Such a decrease, especially as of late, is not something I've experienced before. At least not that I'm aware of, but maybe I was more aware of it due to the change and then reading about other people's loss of traffic. Anyhow, at least that answer gives me some hope that my blog is not withering away to nothing and that my traffic will increase in the coming weeks.

28. When I click on the reader button I only get a '0'. Nothing more happens. How can I solve this?

29. I have a questions. I am only using the reader now to search other blogs instead of topics. However, I had switched to topics because my wordpress blog search would only show the first 2 pages of blogs. How come it is still doing this? How come I am unable to search through the many, many different blogs like I used to be able to months ago? This wasn't a problem for me because I used to use the topics page but now that the reader has been implemented there seem to be a lot less blogs for me to search through on the topic that I choose (ex. NBA Playoffs).

30. I just wish it could go back to how it used to.

I can't read any of the blogs I do follow on certain computers (but same browser) and I really dislike how the topics are now. I understand they are trying to minimize the pages, but there's an extra topics page anyway.

As of now, *IF* the topic I choose loads, it is rare I can make it through the first few without getting a constant "loading" symbol that never seems to load.

I loved the old way of looking through topics. It was much more user-friendly as well as more visually appealing. I feel the overall hits are going down due to change as well.

Disappointing.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic