I find the date included in each post’s URL undesirable for the following reasons:
1. It makes the URL impossible to remember (for me and visitors)
2. It makes the URL too long to type it in so it always needs to be copied
3. It makes the URL too long for the important part (title) too appear when pasted in places like Twitter
4. If I update a post, I want it to appear as the latest but I also want links to the first version to lead to the updated version, which would be a given if the URL remained the same.
5. Depending on the post’s topic, it really doesn’t matter to the visitor when it was created, it puts too much emphasis on the date.
6. It makes the URL ugly and noisy. To the stereotypical grandmother the URL as a whole would like random computer stuff, not worth wasting attention on.
7. Add yours if you have more reasons.
I know there are several ways to remove the date from the URLs. My questions are:
Q1. What is the least problematic way to do it in terms of compatibility with other services?
Q2. Why should I not do it? Does anyone or anything require the dates in the URLs? Is there an SEO advantage?
Q3. With all the disadvantages, why is it the standard?