Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Widgets

1. Is it possible to move widgets from side bar? I would like to have widgets above the main navigation in the second navigation or with a link to a separate page.

The blog I need help with is lisarhode.wordpress.com.

2. Widgets are controlled by the theme you choose, and you're using the Sight theme, which only offers one sidebar widget.

If you don't mind changing themes, you could probably find one with more options for you.
    Themes

When you say 'with a link to a separate page,' though, would it help you to just add a link to one of your two menus? What are you trying to do?

3. In the Site theme there is a second navigation menu on the top right portion of the theme. I would like the changing posts and pages to be in this portion of the layout and reduce the sidebar height to reduce scrolling. Ideally, I would like the widgets in that section of the site to make good use of the space. Could links in the sidebar achieve this; could widgets be added to pages and accessed with just a link in the second navigation menu?

4. It's Sight and not Site :) and you have been posting CSS Threads. This thread will be moved to the CSS Forum for you.

5. Widgets only work on Sidebars or Footer Areas (if your theme is set up for them in either place - some themes you can take all the sidebar's away) -

You can't put Widgets on a Page or Post

6. @auxclass
    lettergrade did not click this and discover that lisarhode
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/profile/lisarhode is most likely asking another CSS editing question.

7. @TT - I saw your reference to CSS

But I also saw this

could widgets be added to pages and accessed with just a link in the second navigation menu?

Which is what I addressed

I guess by using positioning CSS code and some conditional statements they could move Widgets into a page area, but a lot of work seems to me

8. @auxclass
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm guilty of suffering from eyestrain and skimming rather than reading. :(

9. Thank you both for addressing this. I wasn't sure if widgets could be moved to a page without CSS. I figured that if I couldn't make a simple solve with a second navigation link I would post in the CSS forum. Is it best for me to ask this in CSS support?

10. Here is a bit more of an explanation about what I want:
    Is it possible to move widgets from side bar? I would like to have widgets above the main navigation menu in the second navigation menu or with a link to a separate page. Is it possible to move widgets with CSS to a different section of the layout?

11. As auxclass said, it is technically possible with css, but it's tricky and may behave unreliably on different-sized screens. I haven't done a lot of that with these themes myself, so I'll leave you to get positioning-savvier help in the css forum. ;) Best of luck!

12. Thanks

13. I was able to position recent posts widget with this CSS:

#recent-posts-2 {
    float: left;
    position: relative;
    top: -647px;
    }

Is there a better way to position it, for example, that it positions within the second navigation menu container and stays aligned with the navigation titles?

14. @lisarhodes, replace your code with the following, which uses an @media rule to control when your CSS is applied. Without this, when a browser window is 768px wide or narrower, your recent posts widget moves over and on top of your content, making it difficult to read. Normally the entire sidebar moves down below the content area at 768px. Narrow and widen your browser window before you change your code to the below to see the differences. At 768px, with the code below, your recent posts widget is put back into your sidebar. when at 769px or greater in width, your recent posts widget will be in the header area.

@media screen and (min-width:769px) {
    #recent-posts-2 {
    	font-family: Arial;
    	color: #B32E02;
    }
    }
  15. Thanks. I put in the code and it seems there is no difference. I am not sure if the title collapses with pixel dimensions or at the header image.

16. @lisarhode, you need to take the following out of your custom CSS. It is two rules above the code you just added.

#recent-posts-2 {
    }
  17. That's it, thanks.

18. You are welcome.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic