Need help? Check out our Support site, then

wordpress.com as referrer

1. I find it really strange - some of you are reporting similar stats to my usual stats, yet I never witnessed the huge increase many of you are reporting. I find that very odd in itself.

2. I've had 289 referrals from WordPress.com this week (oh wonderful!) and now--today--suddenly--there are 0 referrals from WordPress.com, even though I've published anew blog. Are others still getting referrals from WordPress? Alas, were our increased hits only a Cinderella Story? Or is something else happening now? Eagerly leaning forward to hear any updates...

3. Yesterday and today the WordPress.com referrers, that jaw-dropping unexplained load of them, has stopped. Anyone else experience that? Has there been a reason/resolution explained that I missed? Thanks!

4. Hi Matt - would like to know if the stats of who viewed my photography site has a way of indicating:
    1) what time am/pm
    2) what location
    3) if it's other wordpress users
    4) whether or not it registers my viewing of it when I am updating it to distinguish me vs. other viewers

5. I've had a small jumpt for a few visits to 20 for October 16, 2011 was this when the new features came about? I'd like to know if there could be a feature that would identify the viewers in some way.

6. Is this the last word....a simple blip....no ramifications....no meanings...no change....and what about those supposed under reported numbers.....much storm and fire....now a poor whimper

7. bschiffwork, I second your sentiments.

8. Hi other bloggers, hi Matt,

Our blog (an academic blog for a University research project) has had the same issue that many of you reported. We suddenly started seeing a spike in visits, attributable to (anonymous) wordpress.com referrers. I can also confirm that it stopped yesterday. There are no more wordpress.com referrers and our daily statistics are back to the average number of visits prior to the sudden surge.

Matt, if and when you are allowed and able to, could you please get back to us on whether this means the new stats counting system that you were apparently testing has been aborted or whether it means it needs more work before it can be launched?

I am asking because our blog is a professional one and our statistics the only way of knowing how many people we are reaching, approximately. We would therefore like the statistics to be as accurate as possible and we are a bit troubled by the sudden changes, since it makes interpretation of the statistics (Are we attracting more readers? Which type of subject are people most interested in? etc.) near impossible as long as we do not know what a wordpress.com referrer stands for.

We are by the way very pleased with the functionality and ease of use of wordpress.com! Thank you very much for the services you offer!

All the best!
    Stijn

9. Hi Stijn,
    Good entry.
    Our website too relies on accurate statistiscs and we'd like to know just exactly who is reading our entries. Are they passers' through? Subscribers? Aree there particular entries that are more poplular than others?
    We need to able to reach as far as we can globally and the spike in stats was so encouraging only to find out that this was a glitch.
    Can we know ahaed of time what is coiming for us and how to interpret our stats?
    Thanks,
    FRNC CXN

10. We also have a corporate blog, and I agree with Stijn's post too. I trust that the WordPress folks will respond when the whole matter is settled (note that this thread is still marked "not resolved"). I'm keeping an eye on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not resolved before the end of the month, when support is fully up and running again.

11. I too would like some kind of proper explanation as to what on earth is going on.

I only started the blog on WordPress in October. After nine years blogging almost daily on Livejournal, I wanted a fresh start, something new,

Like others, I picked up a spike in stats, and was rather pleased that after a week with few viewers, that 'word was spreading' and I was getting a decent number of views. (Tiny compared to many, but a couple of hundred views daily was quite gratifying to me.)

And, again, like others I got a rude awakening yesterday when the number plummeted back to, I presume, what it should be.

Reviewing this thread, however, it seems that no-one, including WordPress/Matt knows exactly what the stats should be, since no explanation has been forthcoming as to what the "Wordpress Referrer" links include... and what they don't.

It would be very nice to at least know that, and nicer still to have stats that are explained, and are useful.

12. eyeonearlyeducation

Like several others in this forum, I track blog use and growth so I need accurate, reliable statistics. And I need to know what they measure. I am pleased that you reverted to the old system while you work out the kinks in the new approach.

As someone who reports monthly on blog use, could you please reformat the stats from the "Week of WordPress.com as Referrer" back to the old system so we don't have to hand calculate our blog stats?

My stats spiked starting October 18 through October 24. As things stand now, for instance, I anticipate subtracting the wordpress views from the totals and recalculating average daily use. Please save me from this chore.

Thank you.

13. It is exactly 7 days for my stats when they have gone out of the normal boundary. Here is how weird they look. The block of seven days are totally out of place.

http://ismailimail.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/stats-issue-102711.jpg

If we have been undercounted, as Matt suggested earlier, than we should get our stats from the past reflect the accurate count (which would give my blog a huge boost in numbers).

14. Wow - my difference was not nearly that major!

15. I don't know what to believe in my stats anymore. Last week it was a roller coaster with extreme highs and lows, while this week I'm flatlining. Everything is so out of whack, I don't know what is normal at this point.

16. Wow-- this has been an interesting thread. I didn't get much of the jump in stats that so many people have mentioned, but this week I definitely have a flat-line, and much lower than what I would normally expect (while Feedburner and Flagcounter are reading the same as usual). I came here looking for a reason for that drop in traffic, so I was surprised to see others talking about a spike.

I guess we just have to wait a week or so while they work out the kinks in the system. At least, I'm glad to know it's nothing I've done to chase my readers away...

17. Yes went ffrom what I would have thought was a "normal" flow of readers, to a tremendous spike! And now today I have had no referrers whatsoever, two yesterday and am also flatlining. I am not sure how to think about waht kind of readership I have had. at all in the past.
    I am truly hoping that all will be revealed in time and that we will have an accurate stats accounting. My survivorship on this work related blog, depends on growth.

18. Is there any sort of update on this? Almost a week ago there was the statement that "We've historically been vastly undercounting your stats" from Matt the Founder.

Since then, the big blip of wordpress.com referrers seems to have subsided, and traffic has returned to about normal, at least for my site, which meanders into the "thousand or so page views a day" range. It jumped 3x-4x during the referral flurry.

So what does it mean? Was that all a mistake? Are stats being vastly undercounted again, or were they not being undercounted in the first place?

19. Zouve,I am wondering exactly the same things.
    Were stats ever correct, based on that statement?
    Was the "flurry real stats? or a blip?
    When will we hear resolution and have some assuarnace that stats are accurate going forward.
    FRNC CXN

20. Hmmm... weird that some of you are saying this has subsided, because mine just started spiking today, with WP saying no referrers aside from three from Twitter.

Curious....

21. If it is any consolation to anyone and it probably isn't, apart from the one hour time zone difference, my WP stats are sort of in synch with Sitemeter stats.

I got a few of the WordPress.com referrer hits, but nothing like the huge numbers some are reporting. Overall my stats will still be about 4,000 for the month, which has been "normal" since around June.

I do find the statement from Matt rather interesting, given there has been nothing since and things have "calmed down" on the spikes thing for other people.

I had spikes from a completely different source at the same time, being crawled by a site and that registered as stats - let's face it, crawling a site is not real stats!

22. @teamoyeniyi - Now the external tracker that I use to test wordpress.com stats, flag counter lines up as well... as long as I remove the wordpress.com referrers. Which is to say, it seems to think that the posts and pages count is correct.

Anyway, perhaps we'll hear something about it some day.

23. teamoyeniyi, what exactly is 'crawling' or being crawled by a site? And how does one recognize it? (sorry to be so ignorant!). My monthly stats are only just beginning to get close to yours, and I definitely had a spike during that "wordpress.com referrer" period...low numbers but high percentage-wise for my daily stats. I had 92 wordpress.com referrer visits spread over 4 days, from the 20th to the 24th. None before and none since. (this is the 10th month of my blog)

The stats page can show us our total suspect views all added up--click on "this week" in the upper right of the referrer box on the stats page. Then click on "last 30 days" or "quarter" to see all the suspect wordpress.com stats added up into one total. WordPress.com is not listed in all my previous year's stats as a referrer until that one 4-day period.

24. Ingidcc, I think being crawled is definitely different to the WP as referrer type spikes people had. It is a bot, like the searche ngine bots, crawling through your site. In the case of the search engines like Google, Bing etc, it is to index your content, one hopes! In the case of the crawler I had, they didn't say what the purpose of their crawling was.

25. Thnx teamoyeniyi...but how did you "see" it?---how is it shown on the stats?

26. Through SiteMeter, Ingrid - a stats site that tells you where your readers come from

27. and yes, the hits were counted in my WP stats

28. Matt, do we have any update on this?

1. If we are being undercounted, as you mentioned above, what actions are being taken to rectify the situation?
    2. What happens to the historical/past stats data?
    3. How would the future stats going to be counted?
    4. What do we do with the 7 days bump we received in the stats?
    5. Why is this not a uniform issue across the board at WP.com, as some bloggers seems to suggest that they were not impacted?

These are some of the questions which I am sure many others are also contemplating. Hopefully, you will provide a summary explanation. Thanks.

29. Since yesterday my stats have jumped dramatically, but NOT my referrers of search terms. SiteMeter seems to agree with the increase, so I'm not sure it is anythign WP have done, but is anyone else experiencing this?

To mornings in a row I've had almost a day's worth of hits in the hours from midnight to 7am.

I'm not complaining, as they seem legit - that is spaced out over time and from different IPs etc.

Maybe it is coming from somewhere I've commented or something, but I really have no idea.

30. @teamoyeniyi
    This may on may not be a factor. You have posts on you blog that have been submitted to StumbleUpon and what you are seeing in your stats depicts visits that result from one or more posts being stumbled like "She's a Star". StumbleUpon drives more traffic referrals than any other social media site does. See here > The Lifecycle of a Web Page on StumbleUpon and note what the half-life life cycle looks like on the infographic.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic