Need help? Check out our Support site, then

WP Confusing Post & Page

1. Weird stuff happening today with my new post. I wrote it, added two new categories, and published it. When I viewed the post, I noticed that it didn't include the new categories that I had added. Simple solution, I'll just go back and edit it. Problem, it won't let me edit my post.

When I attempt to edit my post and go to the post-editing link provided (https://ptvguy.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=36) I get redirected to a page-editing link (https://ptvguy.wordpress.com/wp-admin/page.php?action=edit&post=36) with the same ID number which opens with a page I deleted several days ago.

I believe that the problem has to do with my new post being assigned the same ID number as a previously existing page, but there's not really anything I can do to change that from my end. I hope that there's something that can be done from admin.

2. PTV Guy - you're using IE right?

IE doesn't allow the adding of categories from within the post page.

I have had the same problem with IE on both my self-hosted blog and my wp.com blog. Opera and Firefox both let it work fine.

Collin

3. When you add a new category from the Write Post page, you have to add the category and then also check the box as well. Did you check the box? I don't think that it does it automatically.

4. No, I work primarily in Firefox. I had no problem adding the categories. And drmike is right, I probably forgot to check the boxes. That's why I figured that I would just go back and edit the post. That's not the problem.

The problem is that I can't edit the post at all because of the confusion with the assigned ID number. Any attempt to edit that post takes me into a page editing screen and brings up a page I deleted days ago. The only thing that I can figure is that their database gave my new post the same ID number it had originally given to the page I deleted and now doesn't know which is which.

Is this something that can be fixed by someone in this forum, or should it be sent in as feedback?

5. Since I hadn't heard anything back, I went in and figured out how to fix this on my own. I was right, the problem WAS with the already assigned ID numbers.

I created a page awhile back that was given the ID number 36. I later deleted that page. At another point, I came back and tried the page again. It was now assigned the ID number 37. Again I didn't like the page and deleted it. (It's interesting here that the database didn't recycle the number 36 from the already deleted page, but assigned the new page a whole new ID number.)

The problem started when my last post was assigned the ID number 36. It posted to the web okay, but any attempt to edit it took me back to the previously deleted page with the ID number of 36.

Questions here:

• Why can the database not distinguish between a post ID number and a page ID number?
    • Since the database doesn't recycle deleted numbers, as previously shown, how did the post end up with a used number?
    • And finally, does this mean that previously deleted posts and pages are actually recoverable from the database?

I fixed the problem by reposting my last post twice until I got an original ID number of 38. (Trying to edit post 36 or 37 under Manage Posts just took me back to my previously deleted pages that had the same ID numbers.) I can edit the post just fine now that it has an ID number of 38. After that I just deleted the other two copies of my posts.

Although this wasn't a major problem for me right now, it could be if my blog had a lot of subscribers (as many on WP do.) I also don't want to end up having to do that again if I should delete some other page from my blog. I think that this has the potential to be a pretty serious bug--though one with a somewhat easy fix.

Simple solution, set the database to never recycle ID numbers--even if a page or a post is deleted--and to never allow the same numbers to be assigned to a page and a post.

6. ptvguy - thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into it, but the system does as you suggest and doesn't recycle post IDs. Could it be that your original post #36 was several weeks old? We had a problem around a month ago with pages and posts being confused. It was fixed then but some posts were still left as pages unfortunately.

7. I don't think so since my entire blog is only three weeks old.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic