Displaying Widgets

• For my theme will I be able to display my widgets in different areas other than the bottom. when I go to site theme info it shows widgets on the right side of the sidebar instead of the bottom. I want it to look like that

Also for menus what does sidebar menu and social links menu mean

I really wanna use the Jaida theme but I find the editor very confusing to use

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there! 👋🏼

For my theme will I be able to display my widgets in different areas other than the bottom. when I go to site theme info it shows widgets on the right side of the sidebar instead of the bottom. I want it to look like that

You’re currently using the theme “Sobe.” Given that this is a Classic Theme, it doesn’t give you many customization options other than the ones accessible in Appearance → Customize.

In this particular case, you can have widgets in the sidebar (Appearance → Widgets → Sidebar:

(if you can’t see the screenshot, click here)

You can learn more about this here:

WP
    Widgets
    4 min read
    Widget areas are special places on your site that can accept blocks. These vary by theme but are typically areas like your sidebar or footer. 💡 Themes that support the Site Editor do not use widgets, so you won’t see Appearance → Widgets in your dashboard. Instead, you can edit all of your site in one place at Appearance → Editor. Click here to learn how to use the Site Editor.

Also for menus what does sidebar menu and social links menu mean

The Sidebar menu is a dedicated menu that you can use in the sidebar, and it can be the same as your primary menu or different (i.e. if you want to include some specific links not shown in the primary menu).

Speaking of the social links menu, you can use it to include the links to your social media profiles:

WP
    Menus » Create a Social Links Menu
    3 min read
    A social links menu can make it easy for your website visitors to find you on social media by displaying attractive icons for services like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and many more. This guide will show you how to create a social links menu. An example of a social links menu from the Maywood theme. Method 1: Add a Social Menu in the Site Editor In the Site Editor, display a social li

I really wanna use the Jaida theme but I find the editor very confusing to use

I understand it may be confusing at the start, but the WordPress.com Editor gives you virtually unlimited freedom to create and modify any template (page layout) for your site theme, making your website looking unique!

💡 To help you get started with your WordPress.com site, I’ve attached several valuable links for you:  

• ok

so for the jaida theme how do I use the new editor. Can I get a link of video to that

are there any other new themes I can use too besides jaida but that’s the one I really like

• I switched to jaida theme and I’m so confused on how to use the editor. For my home and about me and about pages it’s already saved but how do I get it to show up on the actual pages like as my static page I mean

I can’t send screenshots through here

• Hi again! 😊

I suggest referring to the links I shared above — you’ll want to check them, as they follow the “Getting Started” approach to using WordPress Editor and Site Editor 👌🏻

• ok

but are there videos specifically just for the jaida theme editor. I did watch the videos above but there editor looks different from the jaida editor

• I’m really trying to understand the new editor for the newer themes like this jaida one but it’s so hard. The older themes were easier to customize and edit but I prefer to use the new themes for a more unique look

I’m having such a hard time customizing this jaida theme even with the links you provided. I even watched the videos over and over

• Hey there,

Many thanks for reaching back out!

I’m having such a hard time customizing this jaida theme even with the links you provided. I even watched the videos over and over

It sounds like you have something very specific in mind – would that be accurate to say?

If yes, would you be willing to detail more on what you’re looking to achieve? We could perhaps look to provide more details on what the best approach would be.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• I’m just looking for a nice theme with a sidebar. But I wanna have options. I do like the jaida theme but I find the editor very confusing to use. Even after I watch videos and read links etc

the older themes were easier to edit and customize but I think I would prefer newer themes but find the editor confusing

• Hello there @koolbeanz247!

Thank you for your diligence in wanting to use the Editor to build your site. :)

There is a primary change in the way that using the Site Editor helps you build your site versus previous ways of setting up content with the Classic Editor, yes.

You can now use Blocks as a way to design the layout of your site, as a template. Afterward, you can assign a template to a page on your site, so that that page uses the specific layout that you’ve set up in the Editor, as the design for that page. In the template, the ‘Content’ Block is the Block that then pulls all the content that is written or added to your page in to the template. The page or post that is seen on the live site is a combination therefore, of design (Site Editor) and content (page/post). This is specific to themes which, when activated, show an ‘Editor’ option at Appearance → Editor.

The articles that should help you with this are:
    https://wordpress.com/support/site-editor/
    https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/post-content-block/

Using the Site Editor, you can create your own sidebar, by using the Column Block. You could add a sidebar to the Blog page for the Jaida theme, by going to Appearance → Editor, then to Templates and click on ‘Index’ which is the template that is currently styling your homepage. From there, you can use List View to gain greater control over making edits to that layout. Add a Column Block which you will split into two columns, setting the left column at about 75% and the right column at about 25%. The column on the right that is set to 25% is where you would add your ‘sidebar’ Blocks.

The Column Block:
    https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/columns-block/

Alternatively, you can search for a theme that features a sidebar, by entering the search term, ‘sidebar’ in the search field to the top of the page at Appearance → Themes.

I hope this has been helpful, but feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

• sounds like alot kinda confusing but I’ll try

• Hello there @koolbeanz247!

Sounds great!

Feel free to also review our available courses at https://wordpress.com/learn/courses, particularly, the course, Create Your Site, here:

https://wordpress.com/learn/courses/create-your-site/

I hope this has been helpful, but feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

• Yes it helps but how do I delete templates when editing a page. I don’t see that option

And how do I get my homepage to show on the actual homepage. It says its edited but doesn’t show on my homepage when viewing my site

I’m trying to work with this theme but its still confusing

• I can’t send screenshots through here

• Hi @koolbeanz247, you’re welcome to add them to your site’s media library and update us here, or just try typing /image to add a screenshot here. (Type it on its own line.)

And how do I get my homepage to show on the actual homepage. It says its edited but doesn’t show on my homepage when viewing my site

I see you’ve got a page called Home in draft mode. Can you publish that, then set it as your home page here?

https://wordpress.com/settings/reading

Note the content from home at https://wordpress.com/pages will only show if you use a content block in your front page template.

• I uploaded screenshots of what I’m talking about to the media library

Yes I see it as draft too but how do i publish that page to show on my homepage that’s what I’m saying

Also that empty square on the homepage at the top how do I delete that. How do you delete templates in general. It’s the whole editor blocks etc which makes it confusing for me

• Hi there,

Also that empty square on the homepage at the top how do I delete that. How do you delete templates in general. It’s the whole editor blocks etc which makes it confusing for me

Currently, there is no option to delete a template directly from the Site Editor. However, you can create a new page or edit an existing one, choose a new template, and start fresh. Here are the steps:

1. Navigate to your site’s dashboard (‘My Site’ > ‘Site’).
    2. Click ‘Pages’ and then either ‘Add New Page’ or select an existing page to edit.
    3. In the editor, click on the ‘Page’ button on the right side (which looks like a cog).
    4. Under ‘Page Attributes’, change the ‘Template’ to another one that better suits your needs.

Here’s more info about utilizing templates: [Create a New Page Using a Page Layout](https://wordpress.com/support/pages/page-layouts/)

Yes I see it as draft too but how do i publish that page to show on my homepage that’s what I’m saying

You should be able to go to the edit page and click the publish button at the top right.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Are there any other newer themes that’s easier to work with than jaida. Or are all the new themes the same with same editor etc

• Hi @koolbeanz247, all the new “full site editor” themes use the same editor. It’s a bit of a learning curve, but it’s super powerful once you’re past that.

Can you clarify why you want to delete templates? If we know the end goal we can help you find the best way there.

Noting if you’re interested, we do have a service that can get the design set up for you, too. You can reach out via that link.

• The topic ‘Displaying Widgets’ is closed to new replies.