2.7 SUCKS

• Author

meagenda

Can’t add Word docs or PDFs, either (I’m using FF3) – otherwise, I like it.

senmcglinn

Several people have asked if we can revert to the 2.6. I would like to revert too. Surely this must be possible: if we can switch the front page from one template to another, what’s so difficult about having two different templates for the dashboard interface?
    Why I don’t like 2.7: its busy, jumbled and takes up too much space on the screen. 2.6 was like a Qwerty keyboard: the thing sused most often were right there on the top bar

raincoaster

You cannot revert at WP.com.

I’m going to take a long time-out and come back to this tommorow.

abrabennett

I’d much rather revert as well, although I’m guessing that won’t be possible.

But, it there a way to make the blog stats page be the default front page, instead of the dashboard? I really don’t find all that clutter useful, and even deleting most of it from the dashboard doesn’t leave me with anything I really want to see every time I look at my blog. The Blog Stats page, on the other hand, is a much more useful format.

Like other poeple I hate it that the space for writing a new post has shrunk. That’s the single most important feature of a blog and I can’t understand how reducing its size could be considered to be helpful to anyone.

Hi! I subscribe to what @danielferber said. It would be better if we could shift back to the old layout. For example, I can’t stick posts to the front page anymore! Could someone, please, help me find a way to fix it? Thanks and good luck to you all!

meagenda

PDF uploading sorted by selecting “File URL” before clicking “Insert into Post”. Apologies – I did not spot thesacredpath’s comment.

@abrabennett: The “space for writing a new post has” not necessarily “shrunk”. You can minimize the navigation bar and you can move the other modules below the main editor window.

@roxanaiordache: As lettershometoyou said a few posts above, give it time. You’re still not familiar with it – as your remark on stickies proves. The sticky option is still in the post editor: Visibility>Public>Edit. (It was made less prominent because some members mistook its role and thought they HAD to use it all the time. Do you, too?)

Software doesn’t stand still. I’ve lived through a zillion changes in my operating system, my word processor, etc. This is life, kiddies. In time, we’ll appreciate the improvements that have been made here, although at the moment I’m not yet aware of them. I’ll get used to it.

abrabennett

Thanks, panaghiotisadam. I don’t mean to be an idiot, but I don’t see how to do what you suggest. I see that I can make the new post space full screeen, but I don’t see any other way to increase writing space. Can you give me some more detailed instructions? I appreciate the help.

rosclarke

@abrabennett, if you prefer the Stats page to the Dashboard, why not just bookmark your stats page? I rarely ever go to my dashboard (though actually I might with 2.7 because it’s so much more useful), and almost always just go straight to my stats.

rosclarke

@senmcglinn, your dashboard does not have to look busy. The whole point of 2.7 is that it is customisable. You can delete things you don’t need and rearrange the rest to suit you. The navigation bar on the left can be collapsed. Take a little time to play with it and get it the way you want.

rosclarke

@abrabennett, I think you’re right about the posting space. It used to be draggable to enlarge it and that function seems to have gone.

rosclarke

Oh, that’s weird. I just clicked over to the visual editor and that does seem to be enlargable, but not in the html editor. Try that.

mathilda37

I’m not keen on 2.7. The usable width of the text space is about half. My blog is very heavy on the visuals. If there’s no way to expand it I may have too shift host site, as I won’t be able to assemble the pages without copntantly checking the layout. What a pain. Why do I need all that info cluttering up that page?

rosclarke

@mathilda37, the usable width of text space is actually larger than it was in 2.6 if you are using the New Post page, rather than the Quick Press option on the dashboard. Look at the top right of the dashboard for the New Post button.

Once you are on the New Post screen, you can enlarge the text editor (oddly, only if you are in the visual editor – I think this may be a bug).

Also, did you read any other post in this thread? Because 2.7 is CUSTOMISABLE. You don’t have to have anything cluttering your page at all.

justjennifer

About input area size in the HTML Editor, I accidentally discovered that if you increase the number of lines overall, it also affects the HTML Editor, since you can’t drag the corner of the input area to enlarge like you can on the Visual Editor.

Settings>>Writing>> Size of Post Box: XX lines. I have mine set at 25, but try larger.

justjennifer

Oh, and that has nothing to do with the switchover to 2.7. That’s the way it was before.

It’s not like WP.COM didn’t let us know this change was coming. Take the time to play with it, work with it, switch it around and get it configured the way that works for you. Read the documentation in the new Support area (click on the Support tab at the top), but give it some time.

justjennifer

Oh, and this
    http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/27-gets-here-in-two-days/

and panaghiotisadam’s post mentioned above.

I think as more people customize their dashboards, we’re going to have be careful of saying things like, “look in the upper/lower right/left hand corner of the screen”. With 2.7 this can be entirely personalized.

abrabennett

Thanks, rosclarke and justjennifer – both the suggestion to bookmark the stats page (duh!) and to increase the text lines were very helpful.

The topic ‘2.7 SUCKS’ is closed to new replies.