90% Drop in Site Traffic

• Author

timethief

This may also be of interest to you folks. You can use this tool to check for internal duplicate content, broken links, XML sitemap, internal page rank, and more… http://www.siteliner.com/

davidderrick

@timethief … Re the Bad Neighbourhood tool, I ran it.

It identified sites that I linked to as being questionable just because, in a perfectly OK way, they happened to mention sex or drugs. If Google is using tools like this to determine how to rank MY site, they are pretty crude. Not to mention irritatingly moralising! But thanks for the pointer.

I did suspect vacation time as a factor. Most of my views are from the US, Canada, and the UK.

BTW, siteliner hasn’t reported any huge problems.

Bad Neighbourhood tagged four “questionable” links, I suppose because they had the words “drugs” and “sex” in their urls. Very prudish. @davidderrick I hope that Google doesn’t use stuff like that either.

davidderrick

@timethief … I also ran the Siteliner tool. Thanks for mentioning it. Found its results meaningless. It said I had 26% duplicate content. Er … I don’t.

davidderrick

If it means I use stock images (eg public domain from Wikimedia Commons), so what? This is what the web is for. It does not dilute the value of my site.

timethief

@davidderrick

If Google is using tools like this to determine how to rank MY site, they are pretty crude. Not to mention irritatingly moralising! But thanks for the pointer.

SIGH … why do you think I included Important Note: re: potential problem areas above. It was so you would use your judgement re: each individual reported link. It was not aimed to make you jump to unfair conclusion re: Google. Please don’t do that because it’s not justified.

auxclass

I ran Siteliner – the duplicate content is showed was my Tags

@timethief I am aware of that, but it still makes you think…

timethief

@filmreviews12

I did suspect vacation time as a factor. Most of my views are from the US, Canada, and the UK.

Mine too and I agree it’s definitely a factor.

@davidderrick

If it means I use stock images (eg public domain from Wikimedia Commons), so what? This is what the web is for. It does not dilute the value of my site.

Hopefully you did will watch this video and witness what Matt Cutts says on that exact topic http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2013/07/08/googles-matt-cutts-on-stock-images/

davidderrick

@timethief … I also read the important note and all I said was I hope Google uses cleverer tools than this.

davidderrick

And glad that video says stock images should NOT affect one’s rankings!

timethief

You can rest assured that they do. The tool is a very crude one and Google’s algorithms are very sophisticated.

Though Matt Cutts says images are currently not a ranking factor for your content, if images ever do become a ranking factor in the future, then I won’t be surprised if having unique images won’t be an advantage over using stock images.

adz25

@timethief the search on bad neighborhood indeed gave a bad result “sex” abuse” drugs” is highlighted.. so I cannot write or source articles of such content?? how do we help the victims then ???this is truly a bad method of classifying and blocking contents.

Now what is it that I can do ? Stop blogging? would this issue reduce if I convert it to .org or .com?

Today I’m on the way to hitting an all-time low since this thing started. Don’t know what importance that has, just thought I’d point it out.

timethief

@adz25
    SIGH … your response is the reason why I usually avoid threads like these like I avoid the plague.

I included Important Note: re: potential problem areas above. It was so you would use your judgement re: each individual reported link. It was not aimed to make you jump to unfair conclusion re: Google. Please don’t do that because it’s not justified.

The bad neighborhood tool is a crude tool. Google has very sophisticated algorithms that can detect if your are a sex or drug spammer or if you are legitimately blogging on those topics.

this is truly a bad method of classifying and blocking contents.

This is NOT happening so do not over-react and do not project.

Moreover, be careful not to quote or comment on the bad neighborhood tool out of context and without the very clear warning posted under the strong>Important Note on that site.

raincoaster

Y’all, if you google “Google problems” for last week you will find your answer. Google apparently had far more widespread and serious problems than they’ve been reporting, so check your referrer stats and see if your Google searches have more or less vanished. If they have, there’s the answer.

timethief

@raincoaster
    Thanks for that heads up.

auxclass

Sorry – but in looking at all the links – I did not see any on the first few pages that seemed to me to do with search results – lots of other problems – maybe one of you could share the link that I can’t seem to find

thanks

The topic ‘90% Drop in Site Traffic’ is closed to new replies.