Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?

• Author

Who designed this new editor? The same team that put together the Obamacare website? This is absolutely the worst “improvement” I’ve ever seen. Why not just admit that it’s a ghastly failure and undo it?

gracejiyoung

@ismailimail

I noticed a duplicate category in my dashboard and realized, that the new editor created it after I edited a published post in the new editor.
    i had to delete that duplicate category from the dashboard.

This is odd. I just tried to reproduce this and wasn’t able to. Can you walk me through the steps of what caused this?

So currently, I have the “test” category already created. I check that off and published a post:

http://gracetestaccount6.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/test/

So then I went back to the new editor, and found that there wasn’t a duplicate category called “test”.

Are these the steps you took? Let me know your steps, and I’ll try to replicate it.

Thank you!

gracejiyoung

@bethct-

Sigh, I would not mind this silly new layout if I could resize my images in it…. 2 hits in my book (yes, i am still bitter over the image issue)

Hi Beth!

I wasn’t able to reproduce this issue. I created a screencast below of how I was able to resize my images within the new editor:

https://cloudup.com/c5I1n36G_nz

Is this not working for you like it is in my screencast? Please let me know!

Cheers!

rossau

It’s there as an option. As others have mentioned above if you go to your blog’s Dashboard and navigate to Posts > Add New it will load the traditional editor.

No. That is NOT an option. It’s just an ugly and time-consuming workaround. For me personally it’s the worst thing with that “update”. I want to EDIT a blog posting QUICK and NOT having to navigate (…) somewhere else to get a working editor. I am editing postings a LOT to keep them updated, it was 20 % of my time spending with WP and now it’s 80 % because of the new circumstances.

Please provide a possibility that we can edit a posting directly with a working and fully-featured editor as it was before. Thanks in adavance.

ethanhw1

@gracejiyoung
    The problem is, for me at least, the editor has no “add media” button, and no second row of formatting buttons. This seems to be a disconnect between what the seeing and what users are seeing.

gracejiyoung

@desertbeacon-

I no longer seem to have a way to change fonts.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Fonts can be changed with the Custom Design upgrade by going to Appearance > Customize > Fonts in your Dashboard.

I can’t find my draft post.

You can find all your drafts posts by going into your Dashboard > Posts > All Posts. If you created a draft and it is missing, please let me know!

I can’t find the “word count” feature.

This has been noted. We received multiple reports of this before and has been brought up to our developers. Thanks for the report!

Typing in “cntrl-S” no longer seems to have any effect. There is no “saving draft” advisory on my screen.

If you click on Preview it will save your post! You can find the draft again by going to your Dashboard > Posts > All Posts.

Thanks!

ethanhw1

“what the staff are seeing and what users are seeing”
    sorry

“Disgusting it´s the word that fits to all new changes on WordPress.”

“Who designed this new editor? The same team that put together the Obamacare website? This is absolutely the worst “improvement” I’ve ever seen. Why not just admit that it’s a ghastly failure and undo it? “

*sign* –> https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/8?replies=239#post-1994792

Or even give us an option which mode we want to edit posts…
    plz… this is horrible to work wasting lots of multi-extra-click for a whole lot of users…

windwhistle

@andrewspittle Shouldn’t designing “… a more refined and modern post editor for existing users … ” begin with asking those users what they would like to see in a new post editor, or even if they want one at all? Devs develop; it’s what they do. It’s all they do. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it should be done.

You can find the draft again by going to your Dashboard > Posts > All Posts.

Thanks!

___

No. That is NOT an option. It’s just an ugly and time-consuming workaround. For me personally it’s the worst thing with that “update”. I want to EDIT a blog posting QUICK and NOT having to navigate (…) somewhere else to get a working editor. I am editing postings a LOT to keep them updated, it was 20 % of my time spending with WP and now it’s 80 % because of the new circumstances.

Please provide a possibility that we can edit a posting directly with a working and fully-featured editor as it was before. Thanks in adavance.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/9?replies=248#post-1994843

I agree with rossau and all the others who have complained about the “edit” button.

I don’t use the “new” editor, as I have bookmarked and linked to the old editor on my toolbar, so it’s just one click to add a new post. (On a side note, there are still active problems with the old editor: no scrollbar, pasting has a work around using Ctrl + V, etc.)

But not having the “edit” button go to the old (traditional) editor is very time consuming. I’m in the process of editing posts made a few years ago and this is not convenient at all.

The work around doesn’t work for my blog with over 20,200 posts going back 7 years.

gracejiyoung

@secondchancetolive @desertbeacon @chamblee54

This is regarding the “Get Shortlink” button.

Thanks for reporting this. I have reported this back to our developers for review. I understand the need for this for Twitter.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but for now please edit the post by going to Dashboard > Posts > All Posts to get the shortlink in the old editor.

Thank you for your patience.

rossau

gracejiyoung/Staff wrote:

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but for now please edit the post by going to Dashboard > Posts > All Posts to get the shortlink in the old editor.

Honestly? You want me to go the dashboard, search & find 30+ postings a day, some of them maybe more than a month old (I’ll have to use the “Search” function, typing in posting titles, scrolling long lists and switching pages)?! Instead of just clicking “Edit”?! No, thanks.

I’ll inform my readers that there will not be updates on any postings for the time being because WP.com is beta testing things. My URGENT wish would be that you provide IMMEDIATELY an option to access the working editor via “Edit” as it was before. It’s essential for my blog.

Somewhere earlier in this thread (not directly related to the recent problems):

The previous recent change “improvement” a month ago eliminated the vertical scrollbar of the normal text box, and I still don’t see any logic for why it was removed.

I absolutely second that. It’s a real PAIN on editing long postings. Please give us back the vertical scrollbar. Thanks in advance.

gracejiyoung

@desertbeacon

One other problem I had one the new editor was that there didn’t seem to be an option for all embedded links to open to a new page, I had to change the target each and every time. Using the work-around to get back to the old editor solved that problem. However, I’m worried that the work-around may not be a permanent option.

Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce this. I have relayed this information back to our developers.

Cheers!

subodai213

They’re not going to change it. Doing so would be akin to them admitting that they MADE A MISTAKE and their egos won’t allow that. After all, Microsoft does it all the time…makes changes for change’s sake, not because it needs doing, and then resists all requests for a logical, rational reason.

There’s only two things we, as the customer/client/paying customer can do: Move to another blog site, or Stop Blogging.
    No, I hear you, I don’t want to stop, either BUT…if you don’t post, Word Press can’t piggyback their (another unwanted thing) advertising on your post. That’s where the money is, folks. Always follow the money. If the advertisers aren’t being clicked on, etc, they will withdraw their support of Word Press and then the BOZOS who worked a year on Beep BeepBoop will be looking for another job, something more in line with their intelligence. Something like…oh, picking up cigarette butts at the bus stop.
    Think it can’t work? Let’s try boycotting Word Press for a while.

I agree with you, subodai213. And have already slowed down posting anything new since early May with reasons that blogging on wordpress is too difficult. I used to post approx 90 new posts per month, now it’s under 8 for the most part. I do have to spend time editing older posts and with the “new” changes it makes it very time consuming.

robinanne

I realize that the Staff are looking for specifics in terms of what isn’t working. Sometimes, Dear Staff, what isn’t working is more about the feel of a place. I’ve been following this thread and the Staff answers are robotic, and sound like they’re coming from a script from the Have A Nice Day Corporation. I do appreciate your work, but I wonder about how much you’re really reading into the complaints? What are you missing? You all seem to be so busy defending the new editor that you’re missing the point, and failing to listen. It appears to me that serious bloggers don’t like it. The new editor seems to be designed for those who prefer Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram type posts. Those who build around images, music, and video, as well as writing more than one or two sentences, will likely find this new editor creates more work to compose a complex blog post. I know I did, and that’s why I didn’t use it for my post today.

Is that the point? To move away from the complex into the narrow and homogeneous? I don’t expect an answer (and would be surprised if someone from the WP Staff actually continued reading this far), but would appreciate you giving this some thought. Think outside of your technical boxes, and think about your users. If the point is to attract younger users, think about what it means to push out all of the older users who probably make up a large portion of your demographics, as well as the younger users who want to add complexity to their internet voices.

I’m not here to bitch and moan as one of your volunteers put it (which, by the way, is unkind, unprofessional, and degrades the conversation — shame on you!). I’m here to offer my opinion on my experience as a user. The feel of a place is as important as the technical bells and whistles. Or beeps and boops.

I like the boycott idea. It’s worth considering.

Boycotting is not the thing of the time, becaus in all wp delivers a very nice feature.

But i totally agree and sign this statement of rossau: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/9?replies=239#post-1994885

This problem has to be fixed – without blaming anyone for anything… just fix.

@rossau

The scrollbar is not the best stuff, truely, but if u use firefox and know the changes u want to make u can easily search in post with f3 (search) typing in the place u wanna do changes. If u used to that, it makes no difference if there is scrollbar or not.

I’ve been following this thread and the Staff answers are robotic, and sound like they’re coming from a script from the Have A Nice Day Corporation. I do appreciate your work, but I wonder about how much you’re really reading into the complaints?
    […]
    Think outside of your technical boxes, and think about your users.

another *sign*

tarablythe

I didn’t read through all the previous comments so I don’t know if these have been mentioned before, but here’s my complaints:

No “copy post” feature … I use this A LOT! Most of my posts are book reviews, I like that I can copy an old post and just update the information. When 95% of your posts are the same format, it’s ridiculous to be expected to re-format every single post.

The categories are listed alphabetically now? Um, no! I nested my categories for a friggin reason … to find them easily. Now they’re unnested and I have no idea if I even got all the categories I wanted.

I have to manually type in the slug I want for my post? Seriously? Another time-waster in my opinion.

Why “fix” something that wasn’t even broke in the first place……….

The topic ‘Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?’ is closed to new replies.