Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?

1. Re: my comment above, this is in regard to "edits" -

2. And which of your many, many posts would that be?

3. Putting this here for the benefit of the Page 4 Readers:

I found a workaround!

When you go to the drop-down menu on the left of the grey Admin bar, and you get to NEW, instead of opening up the drop down menu options Page, Post, etc, just click the word New. Gets you straight to the fully featured dashboard editor.

To Edit, go to Dashboard->Posts->All Posts and go to the particular post, and click Edit. That gives you the full-featured editor.

4. I tend to edit nearly all of my new posts - once the final version is posted, I then begin to see inaccuracies or a better way of seeing/saying it.

5. Well, now you know how to do that without the new editor.

6. It's a long go around - it works, but a long go around ... and, since their new blunder - if you notice, all of your code has been changed (tags added, spacing changed, etc.). However, once you take the grueling time to fix it and put it back to how it was originally - once u click update, it will hold those changes. They just need to put the editor back to how and wear it was (now residing within the same screen as the "reader" page - and with pop-ups no less for preview. A disaster - though thank you for re-sharing the work around --- still all too time consuming and not resolving many of the issues, but it does work far better than this new boop boop bop gas-light. :-)

7. @ raincoaster - ONLY after I have first spent my precious time redoing the code of my post that they took over and changed - again, all too time-consuming and purposeless.

8. Then use an offline blog editor like Blogdesk. Problem solved.

9. Sigh, I would not mind this silly new layout if I could resize my images in it.... 2 hits in my book (yes, i am still bitter over the image issue)

10. Hello Planetdreamdiaries,

I know that the current workarounds are long, especially those of us with over 1,000 Posts like myself, but I would recommend using the Search under All Posts to help you more quickly find the Post that you want to Edit.

I would like things to return to normal or to be improved as well, but until then this is the best approach that I have found so far.

Good luck everyone and I am glad that more people are joining us here at this topic because usually having more people is better than just one or two people reporting something.

-John Jr

11. May I add my ten cents. I no longer seem to have a way to change fonts. I can't find my draft post. I can't find the "word count" feature." Typing in "cntrl-S" no longer seems to have any effect. There is no "saving draft" advisory on my screen. Whatever this "new" thing is, I don't like it. It is NOT an improvement!

12. Precious time expenditure! Surely you jest because you have spent so much time posting here and in doing so ignoring the two spots where I already linked to raincoaster's workaround, that it's truly hard to believe time is an issue for you. It seems to me like your time priority isn't on getting on with your blogging and it's venting instead. And that makes me sad because the reason Volunteers like raincoaster and I are here is to help other bloggers find solutions.

13. thanks raincoaster

14. Seconded! Thanks raincoaster for this:

I found a workaround!

When you go to the drop-down menu on the left of the grey Admin bar, and you get to NEW, instead of opening up the drop down menu options Page, Post, etc, just click the word New. Gets you straight to the fully featured dashboard editor.

To Edit, go to Dashboard->Posts->All Posts and go to the particular post, and click Edit. That gives you the full-featured editor. http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/4?replies=104#post-1993873

15. Somewhere between my 2035th and 2036th post, these jagoffs decided that my comfort level was too high, and that I needed to pull my hair out and curse and swear as breaking news was happening and I wasn't all but locked out of composing my 2036th post.

Of course, I found a way to manage it, with much cursing and speculation about the parentage of the WordPress idjits who decided to attack their users in this manner. But they managed to keep me from finding the "short link" which meant that my twitter followers didn't have enough characters for a clean tweet -- or, rather, too MANY. Thanks WordPress.

Ever heard "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT?" Or, you might have at least offered the OPTION of the old posting method. As it was, it was as welcome and tasteful as a turd in the mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving dinner. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? (And thanks for the workaround Raincoaster! You're a lifesaver.)

16. I agree that Beep Beep Boop is truly awful but the old editor continues to work fine through the dashboard route. My guess is that WordPress will find some compromise about accessing dashboard edit mode from the actual post sometime soon. That is what usually happens.
    This is a great topic - more lively than the response to the changes to the picture editor!

17. Working with email and comments all morning and didn't have occasion to want to edit a post until just now. OMG. I may be sick. "Beep, beep, boop"!!!??? Come on, WP, I'm a serious editor/writer/blogger.

raincoaster, thanks for the workarounds, but I fear what we can now access with workarounds will soon go beep, beep, boop, bye-bye.

I wish I could concentrate on my writing, editing, and blog maintenance without constantly having my tools ripped out of my hands.

If I ran the zoo ...

18. Hello Apetcher,

I remember you from the last battle here at the WordPress.com Forums (I would like to wish a warm welcome to you and our other fellow comrades/survivors from that battle who have joined us here at this Topic (The Battle Of Beep Beep Bop) ) ;) , I agree, this Topic is like a wild fire that is probably moving even faster than that Topic/Battle we last fought/took part in :D ; it is nice seeing people come together.

And thank you to everyone who is sharing workarounds. :)

-John Jr

19. Hi JohnJr
    I remember last time. We all went crazy and then WP saw sense and reversed/improved some of the changes. That makes me hopeful that they will do exactly the same this time. I can't for one moment believe that they are proud of their new update and there will be changes over the next few days.

20. THANK YOU Raincoaster! The work-around was extremely helpful. Now, I'm left with the problem of getting a short link. When I clicked on the "edit" button I was taken to the new form, and there was no way to get a "short link" for posting to other sites. I suppose one way would be to copy the full link and then use bitly or tinyurl to shorten it, but it was so much more convenient when this could be done from the editor.
    I'm very disappointed in this effort from Word Press, perhaps some more testing might have been in order?

21. secondchancetolive

I am not happy with this change either. I hope it is only temporary and gets fixed soon. I am not able to find the short link button.

Where is the short link button in the beep beep boob edit page?

Is there a virus in the system creating this BEEP BEEP BOOP?

Please take the create / edit window the way it has been in the past WordPress.

Thank you.

Craig

22. Is there a virus in the system creating this BEEP BEEP BOOP?

No. Staff have been working on new iterations of the new dashboard for about a year now.

I found a workaround!

To Edit, go to Dashboard->Posts->All Posts and go to the particular post, and click Edit. That gives you the full-featured editor. http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/4?replies=104#post-1993873

23. Same here Apetcher, I am also hopeful based on my experiences from last time, and so I expect improvements will be made as more of us give feedback.

I found another bug where I went to edit a post (that I published earlier using the Dashboard Editor) in the new Editor, I only changed my blog title and I added a tag, but the new Editor messed up my YouTube video embed that was already posted from the Add Media Button earlier from the Dashboard Editor.

Somehow later after only changing my blog title and adding a tag in the new Editor, it turned the YouTube video embed into a click-able link instead of a video embed, and so I had to go back to the Dashboard Editor and add it again using the Add Media Button because pasting links in the Dashboard Editor under the Visual Editor is currently bugged at this time.

So the new Editor can mess up formatting that was already made earlier in the Dashboard Editor even if you only change something as simple as the blog title or tags it seems

Thank you,
    -John Jr

24. "That makes me hopeful that they will do exactly the same this time. I can't for one moment believe that they are proud of their new update and there will be changes over the next few days. "

" I hope it is only temporary and gets fixed soon.
    [...]
    Please take the create / edit window the way it has been in the past WordPress."

I hope this wishes come true...

@wp

Never touch a (very well) running system...

25. Just to summarize my issues with the revised version of Word Press:
    (1) Where is the "saving draft" advisory? or the Auto-save function?
    (2) Where is the word count?
    (3) Why is it more difficult now to get a short-link?
    (4) What happened to the convenient box separating the categories into a "most used" section?
    (5) Spell check button?
    And, thanks again for the work arounds they are very helpful.

26. secondchancetolive

I am not happy with this change either. I hope it is only temporary and gets fixed soon. I am not able to find the short link button.

Where is the short link button in the beep beep boob edit page?

Is there a virus in the system creating this BEEP BEEP BOOP?

Please take the create / edit window the way it has been in the past WordPress.

Thank you.

Craig

27. We volunteers have been warning them for months that the New Post button was a problem, both with losing posts entirely and with failing to kick in the RSS feed. Now they've made it virtually mandatory. This will not end well.

28. @secondchancetolive
    Craig, note that there is no virus. What I posted is correct. Staff have been working on new iterations of the new dashboard for about a year now. Use raincoaster's workaround please and don't keep posting the same thing again, okay?

I found a workaround!

29. knashermac2009

This is an absolute travesty!

Oh - and now it seems that an administrator is not permitted to edit any post !!!!!!!!!!

30. @knashermac2009

Oh - and now it seems that an administrator is not permitted to edit any post !

I'm on a PC running windows 7 , using FF31, Chrome 36, and if I have to IE11 and I don't have that issue on my blogs. Have you used the workaround?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic